Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Arsdigita.com makeover

Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
It looks like the Java stuff is still alive. But the stuff they are posting is still amazingly pathetic.

*All* of the "case studies" they have there are built on top of ACS Tcl, which I don't have to add is an inferior version of OACS. And those have incorporated plenty of OACS in them. The new Siemens ShareNet system is built on the OACS code-base, rather the clean up of the ACS4.2 stuff

Here's a quote:

"Our team has successfully delivered dozens of enterprise deployments with companies and organizations like Siemens, Deutsche Post, The World Bank, Oracle, MIT, WGBH and many more."

If we can review that list...

• Siemens - Tcl (heavy OACS influence)
  • World Bank - Tcl
  • Deutsche Post - Java (but I heard it wasn't going so nicely...)
  • Oracle - many moons ago...
  • MIT - haha
  • WGBH - Tcl
  • the many more link goes to a page that's pretty much the same as this list... only more Tcl

I like Red Hat and I hope they do well. I personally feel indebted to all the aD developers that built ACS-Tcl, many of whom have chosen to join the OACS community but many of whom still work at Red Hat. I hope they do well with the ACS, too.

I just hope they don't screw up like aD did and ignore the hard work the volunteers, independent consultants and small companies are doing in the OACS. That is, if they care at all about the Tcl code (which their old customers might...) I was really hoping that they would come over and embrace the community and let us work with them. I still hope someone will notice.

talli

Oh, and I didn't see any place to download the RHCCM.