Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to The Big Bang for dotLRN

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
The Musea work got put on hold for a couple of reasons that I can think of
  • After Musea did the work to migrate the existing openacs.org bboards to the OACS 4.5 bboard package, we learned that it performed very slowly under Postgres. That was my original motivation for diving in and revamping the tree sortkey implementation in PG, in a way that would allow for effective use of indexes.
  • bboard was still slow in calculating its summary data. OF agreed that they'd fix it as part of dotLRN. As part of my adventure in step one I'd discovered that the bboard datamodel was poorly designed in some ways. To make a long story short, OF has decided it would be easiest to just write a new one of dotLRN. This is the one we should use for a new openacs.org
  • Integration with SDM/bugtracking software ... nothing adequate exists in OpenACS 4.5. Lars Pind is writing a new bugtracker that looks like it will be much nicer than the existing 4.x ticket tracker. Musea's sponsoring this.
So ... when the new bboard package and bugtracker are ready to roll, I'd say it's time to revisit the migration issue. I'd like to have some of the SDM features we have today moved over, too, for instance the nightly tarballs and other CVS work, including patch application and downloading.

We also use the download repository, of course.

The question as always is who will have the time to bundle up a new site. Musea's work was a great start but ... it was a start.

In the interim - Michael, if you think a bboard and folder would be sufficient to get dotLRN interest focused in the short term, would you check w/Sloan and OF folk and ask if there's general agreement? It only takes a moment to fire up a forum.