Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to The Big Bang for dotLRN

Collapse
Posted by Ben Koot on
Hi folks, I have just started an experiment, that could be usefull in determining what makes sense to newcomers. Ben's trip It's my attempt to introduce a network of 1900 indivdual travel agent into the concept of networking. None of them have a clue about technology, and most of them even don't have web site. Currently I am running 2 acs 3.25 instances, ( 1 English, 1 Dutch language focussed one. We have installed ACS 4 on a seperate server, plus 1 spare server, that will be used to clear the clutter, and create the proper group format, and required functionality, based on the users feedback. Once that's finished, I will be migrating to ACS 4. Mind you this maybe a slow and dirty approach, created by an amateur, but sofar it seems work for me. I have now reached the phase where people can signup. either for a newsletter, based on Philip's free spam module, which unfortunately is not available on 3.25 in the same simple format. It's a pity it's burried in the ecommere module, and consequently gives me error messages about cookies, so I decided to use Philip's version temporarely untill I have figured a way to use the newsletter sign-up on my own instance.

The other option for new users is to register for timedesk at once. Experience shows it's 50 /50 as far as newcomers willingness to use either version.

I look forward to the comments from newbies to this system, as I have not provided any documentation. I will just deal with comments one they are posted. I hope this gradual feedback will help creating a user focused set of documentation. Cheers