Forum OpenACS Improvement Proposals (TIPs): Re: TIP #141: Implement true global package parameters

Collapse
Posted by Nathan Lunt on
In that case, I'd rather see config.tcl have some outrageously value and let file-storage reign it in.  This way admins aren't confused as to why uploads are failing even after they've updated the parameter. (A bit off-topic, but still.)

Don, that global parameters feature would be a god-send for those of us that have many instances of some packages.  The way I pictured your implementation is that each package would see an uneditable value for global parameters, but that makes me wonder how you would handle any package-specific overrides.  Then, if you have admins overriding global parameters on a per package basis, they've defeated the whole point, right?

I guess what I would suggest is the admins should be able to override the values per package, but they need to see an explanation of why it's not a good habit to get into.  Additionally, it might be a good idea to have a list of packages that have overridden values on the page they set global values.