Forum OpenACS Q&A: CVS conundrums with 5.2

Collapse
Posted by Sam Nicholson on
Greetings,

I've got two separate systems that I am using for staging and production. Both running 5.2 as gotten from cvs. I'm `cvs updat'ing from the unix shell, and then upgrading from local.

Occasionally, one will be slight version askew with respect to the other as the repository at openacs.org might get updated after one of my systems does its local update and before the other. Next day, all is well.

Except for today. Organization has been updated to 0.6d1 on one, and is stuck at 0.5d3 on the other. And it's been that way for a while now...At least over the weekend.

Does the list of installed software affect how things get updated?

Curious mainly...

Cheers!

Collapse
Posted by Alex Kroman on
(I'm the maintainer of the organizations package). Are both copies of OpenACS tracking changes from the 5.2 branch? Try looking at the file:

packages/organizations/CVS/Tag

If that file doesn't exists or it doesn't say 'Toacs-5-2' you might be working off the HEAD branch.

Collapse
They're the same.

clara$ more packages/organizations/CVS/Tag
Toacs-5-2

jefferson$ more packages/organizations/CVS/Tag
Toacs-5-2

Cheers!

Collapse
Posted by Alex Kroman on
Hmm... What are the timestamps for the organizations.info files that are located in package/organizations?
Collapse
May be getting somewhere:

clara$ ls -l packages/organizations/organizations.info
-rw-r--r-- 1 webservd webservd 1972 Oct 17 00:35 packages/organizations/organizations.info

jefferson$ ls -l packages/organizations/organizations.info
-rw-rw-r-- 1 webservd webservd 1427 Oct 17 00:33 packages/organizations/organizations.info

They're two seconds off, but they have 545 bytes difference.

Cheers!

Collapse
Posted by Alex Kroman on
It's strange that you get the date which you updated the files. When I do a cvs update I the timestamp is the date which the programmer committed his changes.

If you less the organizations.info file I'm sure you'll see one file containing a bunch of references to .5d3 and the other to .6d1.

Do you have local changes to the organizations package which might be causing conflicts when you run the update command?

I'm not an expert with CVS so I'm not sure why you wouldn't be getting the most recent version if you have checked out the 5.2 branch.

Collapse
No local changes that I'm aware of.  But the one that is up to date is a slightly older install.  It's interesting to look at the two files.  The older install, jefferson, looks normal, but the newer one, clara, looks like some odd cruft got added in during the merge.

And as the patch on jefferson is not one that cvs likes, cvs refetches rather than updates the file...  Yep, that's it, the update patch looks like it wasn't in just the right state.  So I've got a manual merge indication from clara in the organizations.info file, viz:

<<<<<<< organizations.info
        <release-date>2004-06-25</release-date>
        <vendor url="http://www.mayuli.com">Mayuli Enterprises, LLC</vendor>
        <description format="text/plain">Provides the datamodel for an
      implementation of the HR-XML organizations spec, but no API for
      manipulating the data.  Also note that the Oracle code is out of sync
      with the Postgres code. The source code has comments in it indicating
      what needs to be updated to make things work correctly [Jade Rubick].
=======
        <release-date>2005-10-14</release-date>
        <vendor url="http://www.bread.com/">Integrated Bakery Resources</vendor>
        <description format="text/plain">Provides the datamodel for an
      implementation of the HR-XML organizations spec, but no API for
      manipulating the data.  Also note that the Oracle code is out of sync
      with the Postgres code. The source code has comments in it indicating
      what needs to be updated to make things work correctly [Jade Rubick].
<blockquote>>>>>>> 1.7.2.2
</blockquote>

I've got to manually update the file, and then figure out what's wrong with my cvs, as I didn't get a warning.

Thanks!
Cheers!

Collapse
I'm seeing a lot of collisions when doing cvs update on a system with a cvs-compatible patch. On a system that fails patching, and instead updates the file entirely, no collisions. I'm not making any changes to the files locally.

Has anyone else seen this? Nearly all of the *.info files in the latest update to 5.2b5 had collision indicators in them as the info file above.

Before I rip my cvs install apart, I just wondered if anyone else saw this behavior.

Thanks!