Forum .LRN Q&A: New .LRN Website

Collapse
Posted by Carl Robert Blesius on
Greetings from Orlando (Caroline, Al, Vicente, Patrick, and I are here to pitch .LRN at Educause).

I just helped Al move a new version of the .LRN website to dotlrn.org and it looks great! http://dotlrn.org

Please take a look and post any bugs you find here so we can fix them.

This siite is a HUGE improvement (especially in the design department) and we have Dorian to thank for that. It is beautiful Dorian... thank you.

I would also like to thank Al, Vivian, Rocael, and Rafael for their hard work in helping get the new version up.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Collapse
2: Re: New .LRN Website (response to 1)
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on

Great site

Some bugs I found:

• Under "Home"
    • The grey/black news block on the left overlaps with the "Latest News" text
    • The background of the logo should be transparent
    • "community forums" on the top right is not a link
    • The news links on the Startpage "Semantic Internet Innovation presents OKI integration at EXPO e-Learning 2005" and "e-Portfolio (dotFolio) system now available" goe to no news item
    • All news links don't jump to the corresponding news item
  • Under "About"-->"Contact Us" the font sizes differ and the emails are superscript
  • Under "Product"-->"Feature"
    • Link to "Summary" is missing
    • Clicking on "View Details" jumps to the old dotlrn site
    • The "View Demo" links jump to Vario.net, why is that?
  • Under Users (Worldmap)
    • Link at Galileo University, Heidelberg, Birzeit is broken
    • Havard, UCLA, Bergen, Mannheim, Spain link goes to old dotlrn site
    • MIT, Sloan School of Management does nothing
  • Under "Download"
    • .LRN 2.1.3 link goes to openacs.org
    • The Knoppix Link goes to e-lane
    • The Debian to gallileo
    • There is no windows installer
Collapse
3: Re: New .LRN Website (response to 1)
Posted by Dorian Peters on
Very exciting to have the new site up! It should probably be noted, that plenty of new content will be added in the next few days, so don't worry - we don't see this version as content complete. We just wanted to make sure a basic version was up in time for Educause. Functionally things should be working though, so do post any of those bugs you find.

Good luck everyone in Orlando!

Collapse
4: Re: New .LRN Website (response to 1)
Posted by Alfred Essa on
Nima,

Thanks for reviewing the site so quickly for bugs!
-----------------------
* Under "Download"
o .LRN 2.1.3 link goes to openacs.org
o The Knoppix Link goes to e-lane
o The Debian to gallileo
o There is no windows installer

------------------------

The .LRN 2.1.3 link goes to openacs.org because the .LRN download page is maintained in the openacs.org site. The Knoppix link goes to e-Lane because that's where it is maintained. Same regarding Debian.

Is that confusing? Should there be more uniformity?

There is no windows installer because it's not clear to me whether it works and who is committed to maintaining it. If that situation changes, we will be happy to put add a link.

Collapse
5: Re: New .LRN Website (response to 1)
I think less confusion and a single site is better than a site with lots of links to other sites. We cannot constantly check for broken links and also sells better.
Collapse
6: Re: New .LRN Website (response to 1)
Posted by Matthew Geddert on
Looks great! Thanks for the hard work and especially to Dorian for the design.

I found one typo on http://dotlrn.org/download/ in the quote from Rafael Calvo the word about (aobut) is spelled incorrectly.

Collapse
7: Re: New .LRN Website (response to 1)
Posted by Alfred Essa on
Matthew, Thanks. The "about" typo has been corrected...
Collapse
8: Re: New .LRN Website (response to 1)
Checkout this site: http://www.dokeos.com/
Collapse
9: Re: New .LRN Website (response to 1)
Posted by vivian Aguilar on
Great to see that many people is putting hands on this effort.
Dorian and Rafa. Please weake me up and tell me that this is not a dream =) , Great to see the new Design on dotlrn.org ... There is a lot of things to do , like put User Manuals together, Technical documentation. People will look for those things. I think Galileo has a very decent User Manuals (English and Spanish) we just have to link to them..
Any way , congratulations to all.
Collapse
10: Re: New .LRN Website (response to 1)
Posted by Alfred Essa on
I also want to thank Vivian and Rocael for their effort on the new website. As Vivian points out, a lot of work still remains. We are moving forward...
Collapse
11: Re: New .LRN Website (response to 1)
Posted by Cesar Brea on
It looks fantastic! Congratulations. I especially liked the little .gifs for the different modules. Very creative. One suggestion -- a news archive -- there were some very good old news items. And, used to be we could subscribe to news via rss -- can we re-enable this? Once again, though, great job!
Collapse
12: Re: New .LRN Website (response to 1)
Posted by Martin van Rossum on
This reported bug is (after more than 1 month) still not fixed:

Newsitems at home page do not refer to the respective items, but ending nowhere....

Join us at Educause 2005!
New .LRN Feature List and Animations
LAMS Community launches using .LRN
Boston Museum of Science launched using .LRN
e-Portfolio (dotFolio) system now available

Collapse
13: Re: New .LRN Website (response to 1)
Posted by Jose Pablo Escobedo Del Cid on
Nice job! it looks great!

Just two comments:

1. Guatemala is not in north america ;o) and central america is not listed in the users page (http://www.dotlrn.org/users/)

2. Can I use the very nice icons (http://www.dotlrn.org/product/) for representing the other dotLRN packages in the IMS-LD package? and if I can, where can I find them?

Regards

Collapse
14: Re: New .LRN Website (response to 1)
Posted by vivian Aguilar on
URL for the icons
http://www.icon-king.com/v2/
Collapse
15: Re: New .LRN Website (response to 1)
Posted by Rafael Calvo on
Hi
I was planning to ask if we could add the set of icons in acs-subsite resources. That would allow all applications to share them and have a standard look and feel.
Does people agree?
cheers

Rafael

Collapse
16: Re: New .LRN Website (response to 1)
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Agreed, go ahead and put them there. Take note of copying the License agreement with them. I think LGPL is compatible with GPL so we should not have too much of a problem.