Forum OpenACS Q&A: Evaluating OpenACS

Collapse
Posted by Sheeri Kritzer on
Hi all,

I'm in a mess, probably a mess which many of you have been in before. Basically, I have a home-grown website with a few applications, all of which are home-grown or freeware on their own.

I would like the design of the website to be consistent without changing all the different applications, and it would be great to have it under the openACS framework.

The applications I need are:

HTML pages -- ones that change frequently, like a news site, and others that don't, such as "about us". Currently we use blogging software, and it does the job mediocrely. From what I know (a friend tipped me off to OpenACS), OpenACS makes this application easy.

Links & directory of groups -- we are a resource site, so we have 2 applications, one freeware, one homegrown. We have a link database (yahoo-style with categories and sub-categories), and a directory of groups, which give not only the URL (if it exists) but allows for groups that aren't online, and provides more information about the groups. Does OpenACS do this? Are other people interested in this functionality?

Critical to the links & directory of groups is the fact that anyone can submit a listing or a modification, that then gets approved.

2 other parts we have are a wiki (enabling anyone to change the page) and an intranet. We can combine the 2 if OpenACS is really easy to update HTML (which I believe it is). OpenACS does password protection, so I think this would work.

So mostly, it's the links & directory stuff I'm not sure OpenACS does. Can someone point me to the right package?

Collapse
2: Re: Evaluating OpenACS (response to 1)
Posted by Sheeri Kritzer on
I'll note that I've seen the resource list and SAFE's website, but we have over 1700 links, and I'm not sure it's feasible to display them all on one page. The way we have it now, the categories and subcategories are displayed on a page, and users can click to get the full listings of one category.
Collapse
3: Re: Evaluating OpenACS (response to 1)
Posted by Alfred Essa on
Sheeri,

OpenACS has all the infrastructure to support the scenarios you have in mind. The plumbing is all there, so to speak. However, the applications are in different degrees of readiness. A number of .LRN (dotLRN) sites use ETP (Edit this Page) for content management of HTML pages. You can couple this with the OpenACS blog to post News etc. as well.

OpenACS really shines with how it handles permissions and categorization. The best way to get familiar is to download it and start doing a test drive.