Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: SLN Evaluates options for next generation learning platform

Dave, Thanks for pointing this out. There is a lot of useful information. Strictly speaking it's not accurate to say that .LRN did not get picked. See below.

The solution that SUNY is proposing to implement is uPortal + LAMS + "Diverse sources for best-in-class tools."

My impressions based on a very cursory reading of the report.

* The integration will not be trivial and will require significant investment and coordination.

* They hope to draw on best-of-breed tools or applications from a diversity of sources, which could include .LRN. But I suspect that because of Java the integration with Sakai tools will be easier.

* The functional set is very much LMS-oriented and is intended to support learning design and learning environments. I think one of the principal virtues of .LRN derives from a community-centric model and paradigm. I think this is right way to go, but I am prejudiced. A course is just one type of community.

* There seems to be huge layer missing in the architecture. Which component is responsible for the managing permissions, groups,content objects, etc? LAMS doesn't handle that. uPortal doesn't as far as i know. And individual tools don't either. So what layer will manage things like group permissions or do the work of oacs content object repository or lors?

Just some quick reactions after a five minute read.