Forum OpenACS Q&A: OpenACS at Linux World - August 13-15 in San Francisco, California

Hey guys,

There will be an OpenACS booth in the dotORG pavilion of Linux World at the Moscone Center in San Francisco, CA on August 13-15. Linux World offers free booth space to open source projects, so our only responsibility is to show up and evangelize!

Of course, by then OACS4.5 will be officially released (it's out already basically, Don's probably so completely swamped it's not quite "official") and we'll have some honkin' projects to show, including Greenpeace.org, dotLRN, PluggedIn's project and other very important and impressive sites.

In order to do this successfully, I will be organizing the event so that we have plenty of people to staff the booth and demos and things to show off. It will be best to have some things at the show, like various demos, some literature about the project and about companies and consultants available for commercial hire. This stuff will cost money, and so I think we will have to come up with some kind of sponsorship by volunteers, companies and consultants. The amount should be staggered accordingly, so volunteers donate some, consultants pay a number and companies pay a larger number.

In addition, we will have to set some ground rules, the main one will be that there can be no selling of services at the booth. People and orgs can have literature at the booth, but no one will be allowed to make personal sales pitches around the booth.

Anyway, these are some basic suggestions. Before anything is laid down, I would like to open this forum for suggestions on how we should approach this so that the OpenACS booth is open for everyone to evangelize the project.

If you would like to personally help, feel free to announce it on the board or email me directly at talli@museatech.net

Looking forward to seeing people at Linux World!

talli

When evangelizing the project's success (in the deployment phase), we should promote others' OpenACS projects and services --if not one's own associated offerings. ;)
For clarification purposes, the previous message proposes a way to further evangelize within the "confines" of the opensource culture --through additional coordination of the OpenACS community in the realm of marketing. It seems to me that the current market calls for ninja style approaches to marketing.
We are experimenting with multimedia slides using SMIL (an XML for multimedia).
I plan to have at least 3 sets that might be usefull:

1. An introduction to OACS as a web application framework
2. An introduction to its user applications (calendar, bboard,...)
3. An intro to web master's functionalities.

I will be using at least 1 in a conference persentation in 2 weeks.

The last 2 will have this screen cam animations.

I can't pay for it, but if anyone wants to distribute some CDs with these, I would be glad of providing the material.

Rafael Calvo,

How did your presentation go? If you still have these presentations or others that you'd like someone to prepare on media so that they can be shared at the conference, we'd be interested in working with you to do that. We'd be willing to supply some CD's. 50 to start with and work on figuring out how to get them recorded and to try and find others to do the same.

Please give us an update on what you have available.

This page says it is this coming week 5th-7th of August.

Regards..

This is a thread from 2002. Last year's Linux World.

talli