Forum OpenACS Q&A: Assigning main site users to be members of a subsite group

When I create a subsite /my_subsite there is a new /my_subsite/admin panel available for me.
I want to create a group that will have access to my_subsite. The group will consist of few members of registered users of the mainsite.
  1. I have noticed that I can not do this from my_subsite/admin panel as I don't have option to view and select users from main site.

2. Going back to mainsite/admin/groups I have noticed that there is a new Application Group my_subsite_parties group created for me. I'm trying to use this then to setup my subsite user group.
    However I still can not add users to this newly created subsite group from existing main site users.
  3. I'm finding in Constraints on this segment that Members of my_subsite must be members of Main Site and this is fine with me.
  4. When selecting Add Member from admin/groups/one I go to admin/relations/add, but unfortunatelly "select an existing Person from the system," link does nothing.
  5. so I'm choosing the only option left: "add a new Person to the system", but I can't add a new user because this user already exists in databse as a registered user of the main site.
    So this way option I chose was no good fo the existing users, I was only able to add a new user this way.
  6. The only way that I could get to the list of existing users and selet from that list was by creating a new group not from Applicaton Group Type but from Group Group Type in mainsite/admin panel.

I guess this is not a correct way of doing it since I will have to undo relations and permissions that where assigned during creation of the subsite and assign my own.

Question: What is correct way of assigning a group of users from the main site registered users as users of the subsite?

Hi Janus,

My answer is may not be correct or comfortable for you to use. Its PLSQL

select membership_rel__new('[subsite_group_id]',]'[user_id]');

You can get the subsite_group_id by select * from groups; I have used this norm since it was easier for me to just go sql, groups admin pages way back then was not fixed yet, I was too lazy to fix it.

But from what I know it has been fixed by DonB for the release. I am pretty sure it was fixed since one of my officemates showed me. I hope somebody can post here since my knowledges is still prebeta1 and Janus may not be comfortable as I am on plsql.

I know of no way to do this from the UI. I have been working on this some and trying to get my changes working running under OACS. Maybe I can post this in July.

Regards..

Hi Janus,
<p>
Try this... not sure though its been a while since I fired up my
OACS.
<ol>
<li>Goto /subsite/admin/groups
<li>Click on "relationship to site"
<li>Click on "add a member"
<li>Click on "membership relation"
<li>Click on "select an existing Person from the system"
<li>select the user then submit
</ol>
<p>
Please post if it did work, so others can just read this thread and
help themselves.  Also make sure that you have atleast the release
version.
<p>
I hope other members would kindly confirm or deny the above posts.
I just ran into this problem with a brand-new 4.6.2 site: I created some Main Site Users. Then I created a subsite. Then I created a group in the subsite. Then I limited read access on the subsite to the group. Then I tried to add Main Site users to the Subsite group but the Add Member to Group page says, There is no other Person on this subsite that can be added as Member to groupname. Could someone explain, or point me to an explanation, of User, Group, Person, Membership Relation, Composition Relation, etc?
I would like to add to this with a related question.

When a user regiters on a Subsite is there a way of preventing that user from automatically having access to other subsites and the main site or are users always members of the main site when they register?

Joel

When I do what you describe on Openacs 4.6 - I get:

"There is no other Person on this subsite that can be added as Member to davids-group

You can either:

select an existing Person from the system, or ..."

When I choose "select an existing Person from the system" I get a list of users that I can pick from.

This only work on groups I have created myself.