Forum .LRN Q&A: LAMS Integration with .LRN ready for testing!

G'day fellas,

I'm very happy to announce that we are now ready to start testing the .LRN-LAMS installation woohhooo 😊

The integration is quite straight forward. It includes a set of .LRN modules that act as a bridge to LAMS talking to it mostly thru web services, AJAX, etc. It looks quite nice.

If you are interested in participating as tester in beta, please let us know and we'll get you going shortly.

Once we complete the testing, gather feedback, bug fixing, etc, we'll be releasing this integration under GPL.

If you have questions, suggestions, comments, etc, please post them on this LAMS Community thread.

Shortly, we'll produce some animations (flash based ones) to better show people how LAMS and the integration works. Just as we did with all the other integrations. Until then, if you have any questions, please use the thread in the LAMS Community.

Thank you,

Ernie

Collapse
Posted by Nick Carroll on
Looks great Ernie!
Collapse
Posted by Ernie Ghiglione on
Fellas,

The walkthrus and animations on how the LAMS & .LRN integration work are now available here. These are flash animations that will show how to use LAMS and .LRN together for learnin design.

More information tech details on the integration also available around here.

We will probably be releasing the integration code by Dec 9th. Shall they be in the contrib on the openacs CVS?

Again if you want to have a look here's the form for the testers.

Thanks,

Ernie

Collapse
Posted by Al-Faisal El-Dajani on
We have been demoing the LAMS integration in Jordan and people were impressed with LAMS per se, so expect to see some users from the middle east (at least for LAMS).

Please put the code not in contrib, but release it in packages in the 5.2 tree (we are nearing the .LRN 2.2 release, so this would be excellent). We will set the maturity level accordingly.

Now, as for the plans for an integration, I was wondering if we could use .LRN Forums and Assessments in addition / as an alternative to existing LAMS functionality. So the LAMS player would allow you e.g. to specify the URL of the assessment and direct you there and set the return_url correctly so you go back into LAMS once you are done. Same with forums et al.

Which reminds me that we should think about enabling return_urls for all these packages :).

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Ups, previous post was me pretending to be Faisal, but he made the presentation, so it is appropriate :).
Collapse
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
Ernie, this looks nice.

What is sad though is that LAMS and .LRN overlap quiet a lot. Both have many things in common:

- forums
- sequencing (lors, lams)
- tests (assessment, q&a)
- annotations (comments, notes)
- voting
- shared resources

Do you see any chance to migrate or merge these features or is this just another good example that reuse is not possible? Of course I know that beeing LMS independant increases the chances of being used in combination with moodle, sakai, .lrn and several other platforms. On the other hand it is a reason for confusion since you have notes but in two systems, you have forum posts but in two systems...which reduces the benefits of a portal. Where can I find information on the architecture of lams (webserver,database,language...).

One little thing on
http://lamsfoundation.org/integration/dotlrn/animations/Adding_a_new_sequence.htm
you talk there about a moodle class but use a dotlrn class :)

A more general problem is how we use names in .LRN. Most of them are misleading or saying nothing at all for students and professors: lors, lorsm, lams, assessment (which is evaluation), evaluation (which is gradebook), ... I know that from the community perspective it is nice to say that we have support for lams but from the users perspective maybe we must call it support for learning activities?

Greetings,
Nima

Collapse
Hi Nima,

What is sad though is that LAMS and .LRN overlap quiet a
lot.

Well, not quite.

Although LAMS does have similar activities/tools as .LRN have, LAMS activities look slightly different, but most important they behave a bit differently. Since LAMS is all about learning workflow, the LAMS activity have to have a sense of state (completed, attempted, reattempted, finished, locked, etc).

Nevertheless, you can use .LRN/OpenACS tools as part of LAMS sequences. For instance, have a look at this sequence that uses three .LRN and OpenACS tools. In the first activity you can see the classical .LRN forum, followed by a OpenACS Photo Album instance (on a different system) and another FAQ. (NB: I didn't have an instance of LORS running, but it would have been very similar).

You can easily author sequences with .LRN/OpenACS activities using the HTML Noticeboard in LAMS or the Share Resources activity. The good thing is that takes about 2 minutes.

So in principle, you can create learning sequences with .LRN/OpenACS tools. And even better, with both, .LRN & LAMS activity tools. Therefore, you can use LAMS to create the learning design with any activities you want and 'run it' with your students.

In addition, you can still monitor these .LRN activities in LAMS Monitor to see how your students are progressing thru the sequence (although the .LRN tools aren't not part of LAMS).

So I think it's not quite like LAMS and .LRN have the same tools, but how they can be combined to create meaningful and cool learning activities to put on a sequence.

you talk there about a moodle class but use a dotlrn class > :)

Yes. But the example of adding a new sequence from a scratch it basically meant to teach people how to use LAMS authoring to create activities, the fact that it creates a sequence that talks about Moodle is secondary. Nevertheless, point taken. We'll change this accordingly as soon as we have a chance.

say that we have support for lams but from the users
perspective maybe we must call it support for learning
activities?

I agree. It might be better just to call these learning sequences instead of LAMS Sequences as they are called now. The students shouldn't even know that they are using another system to run these activities.

Thanks,

Ernie

Collapse
Hi Malte,

Great to see news from the middle east.

About a month or so ago, James ran a LAMS presentation in Jordan for the Intaj fellows. Also last month at the e-Merging e-Learning Conference in the UAE, LAMS was also introduced. I'll get you the presentations as soon as I get a hold of them, if you think they might be handy for you.

Regarding the integration, what we have done now is basically a first attempt. However, I would like to take this to a much deeper level where we can create LAMS sequences using the .LRN tools directly (that means, been able to see the .LRN tools as the drag and drop tools you see in LAMS Authoring). That will be really nice.

For LAMS 1.1, the next version, we have abstracted the way that LAMS activities talk to the LAMS progress engine, defining a new tools API/Contract. Therefore, any tool written in any language -following that API- can be integrated seamlesly into LAMS Authoring. That will be really nice.

Ernie

Collapse
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
Ernie, you say

"Nevertheless, you can use .LRN/OpenACS tools as part of LAMS sequences...In addition, you can still monitor these .LRN activities in LAMS Monitor to see how your students are progressing thru the sequence (although the .LRN tools aren't not part of LAMS)"

Does that mean that mean that forums, photo-album, faq and lors have now "a sense of state" or how do you figure out the state?

Collapse
how do you figure out the state?

What I meant to mean with state is basically how the tool behaves given a certain situation. So for instance, take .LRN Survey. Once a student has attempted Survey, you might not want to give the option for the same student to retake it (survey is now finished/completed). So if the student reattemp it again, survey will behave differently.

So forum, photo-album, faq and LORS might not necessarily need (in some cases) to be aware of state. Therefore you can still use them, being aware of the limitation.

Ernie

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
While you are talking about state, how would I go about the fact that a student might not be allowed to continue if he failed a (LAMS) survey? And can we remodel this behaviour with existing .LRN survey / assessment?
Hi Malte,

The LAMS survey activity is meant to collect students responses for analisys and all, but it won't stop students for continue since there's no right and/or wrong answers.

However you can use the Multiple Choice activity which it does allow you to specify wrong and right answers as well as a passing mark. So if a student doesn't get to the passing mark, it won't be able to continue to the following activity in the sequence.

Have a look at the teacher's guide for specifics in each activity tool.

And can we remodel this behaviour with existing .LRN
survey / assessment?

Not with our current code base (LAMS v1.0.x). But as I mentioned before, LAMS 1.1 does have an API that will allow it to add external tools easier. There will be a few changes to the .LRN tools, but I don't think they will be significant.

LAMS 1.1 beta is expected to be released in the firt quarter of 2006.

Ernie

Hi Ernie,

We tried to access your test server today but we couldn't. We registered in the registration page but the email hasn't been send yet. Do we have to wait 24 hours?

Thanks

Hi Jose Pablo,

Usually is way less than 24 hrs. But since we are in the other end of the world, when you guys have sign up we are usually a sleep, so it takes us at least a few hours.

Ernie

Collapse
Posted by Eduardo Pérez on
Usually is way less than 24 hrs. But since we are in the
other end of the world, when you guys have sign up we are
usually a sleep, so it takes us at least a few hours.

Why is that wait needed at all?
Isn't that already a test server?
In the test server at:
http://strauss.gast.it.uc3m.es/
there's no need to wait for approval. Should we?

Hi Eduardo,

there's no need to wait for approval. Should we?

There are mainly two reasons for the manual account creation:

1. LAMS is all about collaborating learning. Therefore in order to better appreciate this, it's always easier to have each user with its own account so they can participate in each other's sequences, create their own, monitor the progress of other people, etc. One account for all, as your demo server, won't do for it.

2. Although we can get people to sign up automatically, in order to really assess and have a fair play go at integration they will have to be professors/teacher assitance in a course so they can take advantage of the author and monitor interfaces (as a .LRN student for a course, you'll only get the Learner's interface). Therefore even if we get them to sign in automatically, we will have to set them up in a .LRN as professors.

True, it requires a bit more management in our side, as we need to create manual accounts and all (and of course takes a bit longer than automatic account creation), but given the differences in the experiences, I think a few hours wait makes quite a difference. Nevertheless, we're releasing the LAMS .LRN packages on Friday, if you want to add them to the .LRN demo site, please let me know as we can set up a LAMS server in Europe so it works faster from where you guys are.

Thanks,

Ernie

Collapse
The .LRN-LAMS integration packages are now on OpenACS CVS (HEAD). You will need these four packages:

- lamsint
- lamsconf
- lamsint-portlet
- dotlrn-lamsint

Once you download them, just select the dotlrn-lamsint package to be installed and all the others will be added accordingly.

Using these instructions here, you can hook it up to a LAMS server.

Questions and comments please post them here.

Thanks,

Ernie

Collapse
Forgot to mention, these packages will work with .LRN 2.1.3 and the 2.2.0 alpha as well. I tested them with both.

Thanks,

Ernie