Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Bboard for OpenACS non-techies?

Collapse
Posted by xx xx on
Yes, separate beginners from the geeks (ahem).
I think all newbies/beginners should start as code-USERS. When they are comfortable with the program they might grow into code-MAKERS, but many will become just Experienced Users.

My proposal is based on that thought:

Code-USERS
1. OpenACS Webinterface forum - covering templating code ONLY and related issues like integrating graphics and other media or DHTML.
2. OpenACS Install-and-Admin forum - covering all code that is useful when installing or structuring the program or preparing variables for adp-files.

Code-MAKERS
3. OpenACS Design forum - improving and extending code, bug fixes and brainstorms on future development.
4. OpenASC Testing forum - new code development and evaluation of extensive changes.

Code-COMPARERS
5. dotLRN
6. ...

Code-users would deal with questions like How can I achieve this..?, Where can I find the code to..?, Why doesn't it work..? questions.
The Code-USERS forum should NEVER address questions on HOW code should be changed, ONLY WHETHER it works or not.
Newbies should enter at their own level of interest and knowledge, not in a separate forum.

About cross-pollination: This structure is somewhat hierarchical. If problems are detected in one forum it could be posted in the next.

UI orientation of the forums or categorisation of threads could be ways to focus, but full text search is of great help now.