Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Bboard for OpenACS non-techies?

Collapse
Posted by Ben Koot on
Make OpenACS self explanatory...
The question we are trying to answer maybe the wrong start. Bulletinboard for non techies. The solution to the issues raised have nothing to do with do we want another Bboard. This the technical approach to a more complex issue. How can we educate new users, and their suport team to use openACS, and at the same time make it user friendely for everybody. Bulletinboard is only 1 of 70 modules that could be used to answer the questions, we don't even know poeple may ask. Effectively the toolkit as a whole is the key to sollution. Here's what I have done in an attempt to make it clear wat ACS can do for the average user that is unfamiliar with the functionality.

Here's how I set up my own user guide...
1.Set up a group TimedDesk userguide as a grouptype in Usergroup Intranet.

2.Through add module in admin I added Addressbook, Chat, FAQ, News, at group level.

3.I left out content, custom sections and general comments as they untill today are a mystery to me. ( it would be helpfull however if all of the ACS modules could be added from this level, not just the 7 that are outthere now).

4.Because the base of my system is intranet, every user registred as employee has a workspace, with additional links to:

- Bboard.
- Member Directory.
- Project management.
- HR management.
- Personal adminstrative functions like log out, update homepage, personal profile etc.
- Photodb.
- Events.
- Ticket tracker.
- Time management.

5. By adding basic content to a number of the packages, I have eliminated the need for newbies to find out why certain modules don't work, so that reduces the number of questions by end-users. However I am sure a number of these issues could solved by releatively simple alterations in the design.

5. In general I think, and additional "starter module", based on the Intranet, Called "OpenACS starter kit", so without references to employee status etc, would help clear a great deal of the confusion.
This could also form an interesting fundament for a user bulletionboard, where people could refer to the functionality they see in the starter kit, and relate to the various modules. Incase questions involve "coder"issues, the ticket tracker, in which the "OpenACS coders" would be listed as people to whom issues can be delegated, would receive questions, and have a format to respond. That would be great help to speed up the process im improving the code, based on user questions and suggestions, and reduce the clutter on the uncategorised bulletin boards.

Just my thoughts on a grey Sunday afternoon. I am discussing this concept, and others, with Maltes' colleague, Venky, in Holland coming Friday. If anybody is interested, you'r more than welcome to join in the discussion.