Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to How long can the OpenACS community get away with being an island?

Wow...good idea gang. Not to say I told you so, but I think I've been saying this for the past x years.

As far as the logo goes, it WAS designed by a professional graphics designer. The only direction given was that it should include Alex. Designing a logo for an open source project is much different than designing one for a private corporation. It was meant to have a fun feeling to it.

Talli, I agree that your site is MUCH nicer and cleaner than the out of the box OpenACS. Why are we not using it already?! There was a flurry of energy about it, and then it kind of vanished (the flurry, not the site).

The sad truth is this...while OpenACS is great, and has been used for some great projects, it is lacking on some of it's promises. Instead of re-re-rebuilding the marketing/design/graphics wheel I would suggest going with the Musea site and then concentrate on hammering out the bugs of the current system! I know that's what the whole dotLRN and 4.x push is about. But until it's a stable solid system that can handle ecommerce, it's not going to get a huge amount of exposure.

I would also concentrate on some of the key modules such as bboard or ecommerce to the exclusion of the others. Get those FULLY decked out and working PERFECTLY. Make them user-friendly and very customizable and people will flock to them. THEN you can "sell" them on the whole system, which will be being built at the same time.

Don't take this as an attack, I've been a MAJOR evangelist of OpenACS through the years (www.edulix.com, www.royal.com, www.mobio.com, www.sv2s.com are a handful of OpenACS sites I've built) but even I have been looking at PHP solutions lately.

Let's get things GOING!