Forum .LRN Q&A: Response to Has someone done a comparision of dotLRN with other commercial systems?

I've used WebCT for a few years (as a student). It doesn't seem to scale well.

1. With more than just a few users, the system drags or posts are lost.

2. After each posting to a forum, all messages would be listed (unnecessarily putting a load on the server).

3. The UI for browsing multiple forums was awkward.

4. posted messages were viewed inconsistently by other browsers because of the limited use of html style tags permitted in the postings (due to poor use of css definitions).

The chat function was difficult to use... limited number of characters per post, messages scrolling off of the page were difficult to retrieve, no provided method to keep a transcript (though instructors get one), names were not changeable. Often long names were provided in the system, thereby causing extra linefeeds (and faster scrolling). Text sizes not changeable etc. ... perhaps this was because I was using a Mac???

Students could post info/notes/events to the calendar, but if one were to view the calander for printing (as a sequence of events), only the instructors notes/events appear!

Apprently, no wimpy-point for instructors to create presentations. Presentations mostly came from wordprocessors (such as MSWord) where the exported html was not web-compliant browswerfriendly.

Hmm.. I'll let you know if I think of anyting else.