Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Call for Volunteers: Redesign OpenACS.org inside and out

To get the redesign process started I suggest we:

- Install OACS 5.2 on openacs.org (all packages mounted), to showcase the progress of the toolkit and concentrate on the latest developments, rather than catering for all historical installations people may be using.

- Create a subsite named "OACS Redesign", and have all folks that are interested in participating in the project sign up as members.

3. Appoint a "Redesign coach" as project lead, and maybe a few secondants to monitor the progress.

4. Make sure the input of endusers is not ignored, by launching a public ENDUSERS WEBLOG (reverse engineering), not related to hackers / developers, i.e. a place where everybody can put up feature requests without beeing flagged down. I am confident that the majority of feature requests we will receive that way, will already be available in the toolkit, but have remained undiscovered/disclosed.

5. Get cracking and make sure in 2006 everybody understands what OACS has to offer, geek or non geek.

6. Get some graphic designers on board that like a challenge and set up a pool of artists that offer their services to help customise OACS sites.

Just some thoughts, published at a time (1.47 GMT+1) when I should not be fussing about these kind of issues 😉

Cheers

However I do like Ben's suggestion.

Lets get a full project going, make its remit a little bit larger than just site presentation (I've discussed these items before) and make a full on attempt to move things to the next level. This means forming a team from a subset of the community and reporting back out..

Design coach/lead/manger ... ok.. I volunteer.

Now, ]project open[, suitable for running a project like this ?