Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to How long can the OpenACS community get away with being an island?

Disclaimer: I am a newbie to openacs (have not even deliverd it) but have deployed ACS 4.5 with lots of custom packages (www.bordermail.com.au).

Further expanding on Ben Adida's comments :-

I would be willing to QA and improve the quality of existing packages but what is sorely lacking here is quality CORE documentation as touched on by Don Baccus.

A Basic breakdown of this is how messaging should be handled session persistance and other bits and bobs, other wise you end up with the ACS plague of 10 peoples version of a core routine rather than using core functionality.

As well if the core functionality is 95% there rather than re-invention, some corespondence with the core maintainers could possibly evolve the function so that it can do what you require without become a branched version.

If memory serves ACS Templating was a classic example of this.

So if a bit of time was spent saying these are the core api's and this sort of issue should use this api etc etc, some of you package problems would dissapear

I apologise if this doc exists and I have not found it, I am looking to convert our site to openACS soon so hopefully will become a more informed and active member soon.

Regards