Forum OpenACS Development: Developing a "Unified" Linux Installer: 'invalid max "0": must be > 0'

Hi,

Error: tclop: invalid return code from filter proc
'invalid max "0": must be > 0': must be filter_ok,
filter_return, or filter_break

We're got this error while trying to to put together an OpenACS / ]project-open[ installer that works on all major Linux distros.

The error appears after we import a PostgreSQL database backup (a preconfigured demo server) into an OpenACS 5.1.5 server. The version of the PostgreSQL database doesn't seem to matter, because the error happens on 7.4.3 (CygWin Windows), 7.4.7 (Debian Sarge) and 7.4.8 (SuSE).

I've alread spent several hours trying to debug the issue, but without any success so far. I've found out that the exception is risen in "sec_get_random_cached_token_id" by "ns_rand":

set list_of_names [ns_cache names secret_tokens]
set random_seed [ns_rand [llength $list_of_names]]

Aparently there are no secret_tokens in the ns_cache. However I've checked with the database and there are 2000 entries in secret_tokens. So I guess that it must be some error during the initialization of the system. However, I haven't managed to locate the right place yet. Any help would be highly appreciated.

The error does not appear when installing the system from scratch. The error even sometimes goes away after a while. I haven't found out any pattern yet..

Concerning the Installer:

We're obviously going to publish the installer once it's working fine...

We are aware of Adrian Catalan's Debian installer. However, our experience with maintaining(!) installers is that you need to reduce the number of installer options to a minimum in order to guarantee maintainability. So that we decided to go for one "unified" installer for all major Linux distributions, even if this installer requires some manual installation work during the installation process.

Any support on this end would be appreciated as well. I'll post an announcement in OpenACS once ]project-open[ V3.1 and its Windows and Linux installers are out.

Bests,
Frank

mailto:frank_dot_bergmann_at_project_dash_open_dot_com
htto://www.project-open.org/

I like this, though we'll keep updating ours (windows and debian), actually, there's no conflict among a debian package and a visual linux installer, completely different things. In our case, to minimize the installer maintain work, we are in the process to create scripts to update the installer, to release new versions.