Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: New & looking for shopping cart

Collapse
Posted by Torben Brosten on
Hi Jim,

The ecommerce package is not the ec2 project, but ecommerce does benefit from some of the features developed for ec2, including importing product data from other websites (as a means of keeping pricing current) and flexible procs that help with importing, maintaining and displaying product data.

Ecommerce works with postgresql.

The hardwired shipping costs have been moved to a single proc to maximize flexibility in how shipping is calculated. There's also a shipping-gateway package for interfacing with a shipper's API; I haven't used it, so am not sure how current it is.

The underlying libraries of procedures and data models that make ec2 are almost complete. With a few years of experience with double entry bookkeeping (including audits) and building finance models for energy production projects, I believe I now have the experience to finish building ec2.

The hurdle at this point is dedicating revenue building time to complete ec2. To offset, I'm building a couple of web apps which also build on and add to the ec2 library. The process has been slow paced, but the goal is in sight.

cheers,

Torben

Collapse
Posted by Jim Lynch on
Torben,

All good to know...

As there are docs to show how to install oracle or postgres, aolserver and acs/openacs, does there exist similar documentation for setting up the cvs ecommerce and/or the ec2?

At minimum, does the exsiting documentation show how to get the whole thing installed? Again, either the openacs cvs version or ec2, including where to get the packages, and eventually both.

-Jim

Collapse
Yep. Install ecommerce on your local installation of OpenACS and surf to ecommerce/doc Some of the documentation may not be clear, or references no longer available. You can contact me directly with issues that might be best handled outside of forums.

cheers,

Collapse
Posted by Jim Lynch on
Torben,

Could I ask a small favor... could I get you to install a test instance of (say) openacss-5.5 with pg-8.3 and then try installing the ecommerce package from cvs?

I'm doing the same on a copy of a (5.5. 8.3) instance I've been running over the years.

Reasons I ask are, it will be nice to have that same style of "do this, then do that, then build this" style of installation docs that acs enjoyed; and for the specific case of ecommerce I'm running into a number of issues that may or may not be solvable by someone who might potentially adopt openacs if it enjoyed a killer app as it did when dotlrn aas still alive.

Most likely we'll compare notes when we can get ecommerce installed, to the point the APM is satisfied insofar as dependent packages are concerned, and an instance of ecommerce can be mounted.. If needed before that, let's contact each other on this thread.

-Jim

Collapse
Sure. ecommerce tends to be very customized with merchants choosing a unique blend. but I'm glad to help. I've openacs 5.7 installed from tar using pg 8.3 and ecommerce 5.18. It would probably best to start a new thread when you're ready.
cheers!
Collapse
Posted by Jim Lynch on
I did get it installed...

If you look at ecommerce.info, you'll see a list of what it needs, all but one of which I had to get from cvs; no one maintaining them and keeping them working with latest n greatest I suppose.

In two or three cases, the depended-upon package required things like a later kernel, but I just forced the install, seemed to work fine, data model loaded and everything.

Then installing ecommerce was easy, data model loaded without error, and after restarting I could browse around a little.

I'll be doing more as time goes on, but it seems to work fine so far; I at least get no errors on the pages I visited.

So far so good...

-Jim