Forum .LRN Q&A: Homepage/frontpage for .LRN

Collapse
Posted by David Lee on
If I want a homepage for .LRN (more like an information type thing than a portal), how can I do that? Is there a specific file I would have to change for the homepage? Or can I force everyone's "My Space" portal area to look the same? If so, how?
Collapse
Posted by Caroline Meeks on
You have a number of options.

One of the is to create a static portlet and put it into the default template for user portals. That is what Sloan does.

For other sites we have mounted one of our many CMS options at the top level and from somewhere in the text or navigation we have a link to dotLRN that takes people into the class portion of the site.

http://www.3ecompass.net/public/ is an example of that. You can see various things without being logged in, but if you click on "Courses" you will be required to log in. If you had an account you would then be taken into dotlrn and shown a list of your courses.

Compass currently uses BCMS but we are moving to XOWiki for this site and most of our other sites.

Collapse
Posted by Ben Koot on
Hi David,

I'm using Dotfolio module and Theme Selva to "spice up" my frontpage. That automatically put's up a blog and changing the picture is just a matter of seconds. No programming needed. The foto source by default is your profile picture, but there's a parameter in the dotfolio admin to change the source, so changing to photodb module should give more options. haven't tried it yet though. Theme Selva gives you an option to ad a header banner as well via a parameter.

Cheers
Ben