Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Re: Re: xowiki 0.20

Collapse
42: Re: Re: Re: xowiki 0.20 (response to 41)
Posted by Daniël Mantione on
OpenACS can ban users, but not IP-addresses. The only way to stop vandals is to require user approval before they can join which is a bit against the Wiki idea. I'll consider contributing some code.

Comparing XoWiki to MediaWiki (which is what we currently run), the latter one has functionality to revert changes directly from the recentchanges screen, and clicking on a username directly shows his contributions. This is (of course) no criticism against XoWiki, just an analysis what makes the latter one powerfull.

Collapse
Posted by Gustaf Neumann on

OpenACS can ban users, but not IP-addresses. The only way to stop vandals is to require user approval before they can join which is a bit against the Wiki idea.
Good point. By looking the the increasing number of spam content on openacs.org, it looks like a good idea to ban sites (i.e. not allowing a login from banned IP-addresses or subnets) as well. The same mechanism could be used for all user-contributed content, i.e. wiki-pages, forum posts, comments on pages, oacs company listings, etc...