Forum OpenACS Q&A: Webmail - again....

Collapse
Posted by Philip Jensen on
Hi All

Further to this post I was wondering what was the general thought on webmail. As mentioned by Vlad Seryakov DBMail could be a worthy contender to be integrated into OpenACS.

DBMail has the data model, can support IMAP, and stores it's messages in PostgreSQL and [cough] MySQL.

I know the webmail thing seems to be raised from time to time, but I believe a collaboration platform needs a good mail platform, and Jin Choi's document as originally posted on Arsdigita Systems Journal had some compelling arguments.

I am not after a mail server serving up IMAP (although that may be useful), as per Jin's document I would like a webmail client where I can perform a whole bunch of actions with a message which normal mail clients cannot.

I'm also of the view that having the messages stored in a database can help provide that extendable interface. Rather than just having a Webmail interface which is talking to another IMAP mail server. In other words I want to store all my data in one system/database.

Lastly, a solution as originally developed which depended on Oracle and Java is not my idea of a good time.

Comments?

thanks