Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Re: Re: Asian Characters and UTF-8 Encoding - Any experiences?

Talk about serendipity ... I randomly went to look at openacs.org for the first time for months - and found this (I did not have notifications on for this thread - I believe there should be a way to set forums up to always do that).

Anyway, I don't think your problem is the same that we solved. All our adp files were[1] in plain ASCII - the big trick was to make AOLServer do the "correct" conversion of the generated page (Unicode -> local encoding)

It sounds to me like AOLServer makes wrong assumptions about the charset of your files. Not sure how to handle that.

[1] We are now running a new OACS-based CMS, serving everything as utf-8.

Hi All,

Well I was searching for Unicode to Arabic conversions and came across this post.

What I am trying to do is convert some unicode data that I have into Arabic, there is a function written that does the conversion using a sequence of Case stmts and it searches for the unicode chars and then replaces it with the corresponding Arabic character.

e.g. IF strT = '067E' THEN Dest := Dest || Chr(129 USING NCHAR_CS); --129Arabic Peh

Well the function works correctly in Oracle 9i and above but refuses to compile in versions of Oracle below 9i.

Here are some more details:
Oracle Version: Oracle 8.1.7
Compilation error: PLS 00561- Characterset mismatch on value for parameter 'Right'.

I am assuming it is the Nchar_cs that creates the problem.

Would appreciate any help on this. Thx in Advance

Regards
Chetz

I have recycled the parts of my brain I used to store Oracle knowledge. Even then, I don't think I ever worked with non-standard character sets in it - only ASCII and some Oracle version of unicode.

My suggestion would be to do any transformations in tcl, rather than in Oracle. In fact I would suggest getting rid of Oracle and switch to Postgres. We did, and I haven't had a single moment of regret.

/Nis