Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to openacs.org designs... opinion please

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
I agree with most of what Carl's saying, actually, especially about Alex the Doggy :)
<p>
Simon and I had a brief chat about cultural differences on IRC and I think that's something that's going to be difficult to bridge.  The Doggy plays well with Yanks, it seems (Carl's a Yank even though he's a medical student at U Heidelberg).  Having done business in the UK for about 12 years and suspecting that not much has changed in the decade since I did that, I can understand where Simon is coming from.
<p>The professional software world UK is a bit more uptight and stodgy than in the US, that's just a fact.
<p>
But I still like the Doggy.  It's time for the Brits to learn to loosen up :)
<p>
I like the idea of a clean, sparse banner and a toolbar.  In general I personally like Carl's banner design a lot.  It seems very clean and sparse to me and for those of you who've looked at much of my wildlife photography and maybe even my code you'll understand that I try, at least, to be consistent in this preference.
<p>I still like rounded corners ("curvy boxes") on table headers as I personally think it tends to emphasize the whitespace separating table boxes.  And I like whitespace separation.  I think one can cheat a bit and cram one's tables together slightly while still having the effect of separation with rounded corners.  I personally didn't find the contrast between the color chosen for the header type in Jun's design #1 sufficient and the gray too dark in the box, as well.  I'm using a ViewSonic flatscreen so YMMV if you're using a CRT.