Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to openacs.org designs... opinion please

Collapse
Posted by defunct defunct on
I've been pushing for a more 'balanced' website that reflects more than *just* the developer community.

I would argue that the balance at present is wrong.

No one is talking about graphic-oriented... graphics has little to do with it, its just a question of presenting the community as the summation of its parts.

I would also like to point out that there are also many people who;ve like jun's design #2...

My objection to a poll is not that I don't beleive in democracy, but I don't beleive in 'populist democracy'..

As this community grows it is acquiring more and more members who have diverse (and not just tech related) interests.. we need to attract more of them and we also need to retain them....

But these are old arguments, and to be honest I think you understand my position quite well as we've discussed this before,

But what is really puzzling me is why, when a few people have suggested a more 'all-encompassing' look and feel, this has met with such objection.. after all, the regular tech guys here are hardly ever likely to pay much attention to the 'design' in their day-to-day usage of the site.. its the more casual, passing users it needs to attract.

Just because the site might end up looking a little more comercially savvy is not an inherent evil... after all if my company didn't make money I;d have no time to contribute...

Let me be brutally honest.. and I apologise as I'm not normally one for harsh tones or flaming but....

There is a distinct 'anti-corporate' sort of feeling within this community and my suspicions are that this debate has more to do with that than it does good design...

But, the reality is that this toolkit *is* now part of the commercial environment, and it needs to appreciate that.

Otherwise the alternative is that you drive away the kind of commercial interest that can help the toolkit grow.

Apologies for any offence...

Oh... I don't think peoples opinions necessarily need labelling as 'bullshit' ;)