Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to openacs.org designs... opinion please

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi,

I hope I get good feedback from my above post.  Also I am looking to make the design to adp myself.  Of course don't expect it but if I do finally make it then great.  I am still looking for a volunteer, I don't have a lot of time in my hands.  But before this happens can we decide on this design issue?

I haven't been vocal with Carl's design since as I have told Talli I don't want to look biased.  I think with the latest design of Carl  does lack the consistency and uniformity.  Carl's design was able to get people's feed back in but it did not take into account that each design element: dog logo, boxes, header, graphic (download link), OpenACS caption, buttons has to blend in together.  I am not a real artist but I have a fair amount of design skills since I did designs when I started to make web sites.

In the medium term if we do apply Design #3 for openacs.org and if people are agreeable to carry it over to the toolkit itself.  aD is very poor in making UI and making them consistent.  The current toolkit has blue boxes for template::blah, each package has its own look and feel.  I think its best to make both the toolkit UI good too and it will better that both site and toolkit has the same look and feel.  So in the medium term we need to decide on the style guide.  How will forms look like, where are navigation elements placed, context bars, openacs.org maybe a good testing ground for this before moving it into the toolkit.

Anyway in the short term I hope the community can decide that design #3 is acceptable.  With the goals of striking a balance between tech and non-tech taste.  And design #3 having all the design elements blend with one another.

Can I now start moving this forward?  Look for a volunteer or do the adp myself.