I am trying to install OpenACS 4.x on my Windows 98 to do some
development on my notebook. I have PostgreSQL running in Cygwin and
AOLServer running on Windows. I have used this config before for
OpenACS 3.x and it worked fine.

I got as far as the welcome page, got database, nsxml, nscache,
nssha1 installed no complains from the installation script. When I
click NEXT the script calls 'psql' which, in my configuration, is
located in CYGWIN (actually on my c:cygwinin) and I got an error
in my log saying that it can't locate psql.

I tried adding the 'pgbin' param in the config file but nothing
happens (my understanding is that pgbin will work if you have
AOLServer and PostgreSQL running on the same environment which is not
true in my case).

Anyway, I manually loaded the 'acs-kernal-create.sql' and refresh the
page. The installation then continued for a while and now I'm stuck
again when the script call 'psql' once again. This time it's
loading 'acs-install.sql'. I tried to manually load this sql file,
but didn't work this time.

My questions:
1. Is there any way to get psql to work in my configuration?
2. if not, is there a way to manually install OpenACS 4.x without
going through the web-based process?

Collapse
Posted by C. R. Oldham on
I have tried this and could not get it to work.  The threading model in Win98 is just too fragile to handle the extra load that OACS 4 throws at it.
Collapse
Posted by Polawat Ouilapan on

I managed to get psql to work. Actually it is already working. I just need to tell Windows where to find it. I added 'c:cygwinin' to my PATH in autoexec.bat and the installation script start creating the database tables.

I now have a new problem though. About half way through, Postgres hung and I got the following error:

pq_recvbuf: recv() failed: error 0

Looks to me like a Postgres problem. Anyone know how to fix this?

Collapse
Posted by Jamie Rasmussen on
Do you have Visual C++? If so, it is possible to compile psql as a native Windows client. There are instructions online at http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?install-win32.html

I'm not sure we have enough information to pinpoint your problem. What version of PostgreSQL are you using? What version of AOLserver? Are you using a nightly tarball, CVS checkout, or released version of OpenACS? Also, what is happening immediately before you get this error? (Could you post sections from PostgreSQL, the AOLserver log, the webpage output, ...) I'm collecting information for an OpenACS on Windows webpage (http://empoweringminds.mle.ie/openacs/) so I'm definitely interested in your installation experience.

Collapse
Posted by Polawat Ouilapan on
I have tried the native PostgreSQL which I downloaded from here, but I turned out to be less stable than the one on Cygwin. It didn't even make it through creating all the data models.

I was using Postgres 7.1.2 on Cygwin and have now upgraded it to 7.2.1. I used the binary installation of AOLServer downloaded from here, and using some of the missing drivers from the AOLServer4-UH distribution.

Now, I got passed data model creation. Got the 'NEXT' button. I went ahead and Install OACS packages. The packages got installed up until 'acs-content-repository', and stoped in the middle of installing this package. I installed again from scratch (dropdb, createdb, createlang) a few more time, and it stopped at the same place

Here's the postgreslog (AOLServer log showed no errors):

NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE will create implicit trigger(s) for FOREIGN KEY check(s)
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index 'acs_sc_impls_pk' for table 'acs_sc_impls'
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / UNIQUE will create implicit index 'acs_sc_impl_alias_un' for table 'acs_sc_impl_aliases'
NOTICE:  identifier "apm_package_version__add_interface" will be truncated to "apm_package_version__add_interf"
NOTICE:  identifier "ad_template_sample_users_sequence" will be truncated to "ad_template_sample_users_sequence"
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index 'ad_template_sample_users_pkey' for table 'ad_template_sample_users'
NOTICE:  identifier "apm_package_version__add_interface" will be truncated to "apm_package_version__add_interf"
NOTICE:  identifier "apm_package_version__add_dependency" will be truncated to "apm_package_version__add_depend"
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index 'pages_package_id_pk' for table 'pages'
NOTICE:  identifier "apm_package_version__add_dependency" will be truncated to "apm_package_version__add_depend"
NOTICE:  Adding missing FROM-clause entry for table "acs_object_id_seq"
NOTICE:  identifier "acs_object__initialize_attributes" will be truncated to "acs_object__initialize_attribut"
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index 'cr_mime_types_pk' for table 'cr_mime_types'
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index 'cr_content_mime_map_pk' for table 'cr_content_mime_type_map'
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index 'cr_locale_abbrev_pk' for table 'cr_locales'
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / UNIQUE will create implicit index 'cr_locale_name_unq' for table 'cr_locales'
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index 'cr_type_children_pk' for table 'cr_type_children'
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index 'cr_type_relations_pk' for table 'cr_type_relations'
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index 'cr_items_pk' for table 'cr_items'
NOTICE:  ALTER TABLE will create implicit trigger(s) for FOREIGN KEY check(s)
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index 'cr_child_rels_rel_pk' for table 'cr_child_rels'
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index 'cr_item_rels_pk' for table 'cr_item_rels'
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index 'cr_revisions_pk' for table 'cr_revisions'
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index 'cr_revision_attributes_pk' for table 'cr_revision_attributes'
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index 'cr_content_text_pkey' for table 'cr_content_text'
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index 'cr_release_periods_pk' for table 'cr_release_periods'
DEBUG:  pq_recvbuf: recv() failed: No error
I was using CVS checkout of OpenACS 4, because I am installing dotLRN. I will attemp another install using the released OpenACS 4.5.0.
Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
Polawat,

The "recv" error seems to be a PostgreSQL one. If you have a Windows 2000/XP box available, try installing there first. If it goes through fine, then you'll know PG is hitting one of the many Win 98 weaknesses.

That may give you an excuse to get out of Windows 98. It's in the same category as Sega and Nintendo as far as operating systems go.