Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to New OpenACS website - Please test!

Collapse
Posted by Torben Brosten on
Hi Gilbert,

You ask: Is there a reason why people are still using Netscape 4.x?

There's probably more than one reason...

In my situation, the company operates on a quasi-upside-down technology deployment principle, where the faster computers go to those with the least computer experience --except when client projects demand commandeering the faster machines. Those of us with more computer experience get to use slower (older) computers because we can manage the technology more effectively, thereby extending the value/use of the resource. NN4.x runs faster than 6.x on the older machines. I'm glad I'm not stuck with using lynx all the time. ;)

For the record, one of the machines I use has a black and white monitor on it... thankfully the new design has adequate contrast for 256 grey scale.

On one of the color monitors, the gamma is very low, showing again how important contrast is for viewing websites on poorly configured/mismatched equipment.

These systems are constant reminders of the variations in browsing configurations one can expect to need a website to adjust to --especially for an open community oriented website like openacs.org.

In the future, I'd like to see a reversal in the text background colors, where the whitespace is off-white/grey, and the main text body areas are whiter (ie. brighter).... to highlight the main reading areas... but I'm not complaining. The priority is speed, function, and a new look (which I like, too).

An afterthought...

Instead of putting an   into each blank TD tag, we could put a statement at the bottom of each page that states:

This website best viewed by coming over to one of the developers locations and viewing it on their screen. =)