Forum OpenACS Development: Response to Open 4.6 items & project status

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
However, it's important that we make the development process open and *transparent* to the community.
Oh, it will be. As far as 4.7 goes the only real "planning" has been a conversation Lars and I had over coffee (with a bunch of other OpenACS folks who had come to the Amsterdam social). Lars will have some notes available for public consumption, we've all been consumed by the dotLRN governance and related issues.

Well, I have anyway.

And I want to float some proposals for work on improving the scalability of permissions and some work in the area of the groups datamodel in 4.7.

But before I can float a proposal I need to find the time to do some more research. I have some ideas in my head but need to verify that they are possible to implement - along with upgrade scripts - in reasonable time.

So ... I don't think there's any "hidden" planning going on in practice, just a desire to put together some well thought-out proposals rather than hare-brained schemes.

As far as 4.6 I know that Cathy Sarisky has been working on fixing bugs in the bookmarks package (PG version), she's on IRC all the time so you can ping her on that.

We need to keep this 4.6 list as modest as we can so we can have adequate testing of the toolkit itself, and also adequate testing with dotLRN (which increases our testing burden).

Neophytos - you probably need to ping Simon about testing. He's been silent the last few days (usually means he's busy with clients) and we need to know if OpenMSG can help organize testing again like they did for 4.5.