Forum OpenACS Development: Open 4.6 items & project status

I'm compiling information for the developers section of the new site and at the same time I want to make sure that 4.6 is released on time.

I would appreciate if package maintainers could report the status and any open items that they are working on. As far as I can say we have one more month to address them before beta. If there's no report for a package, that package will remain unclaimed in the project status page that I'm preparing until someone comes forward and takes responsibility.

If anyone disagrees with the time framework for releasing 4.6 or any posted open items, please say so in your post but let us start another thread to discuss it so that this thread is only used for feedback.

Only report if your package is in the OpenACS CVS tree. I'm asking people to post here since it would be difficult for me to verify who maintains what. I'm sure Don and others will jump and say if something does not look right.

I'm gonna post more information about upgrade scripts and other things we should take into consideration on a follow-up message.

Here's an example of the requested info for the packages I maintain For example, here are the packages that I maintain:

• ACS Service Contracts (a-s-c)
  • Search
  • OpenFTS-driver
Open 4.6 items:
  1. an alternative interface for OpenACS to work with tdom
  2. xml-based version of A-S-C
Note 1: I'm waiting for the tDOM developers to release an aolserver stub of the software. I'm gonna post to the forums a RFC as soon as this is finalized. I have already a tarball of the software. tDOM is more feature complete than nsxml and way much faster. [Many thanks to Zoran and Rolf for their help and support.]

Note 2: No upgrade scripts are required.

Note 3: I have a long TODO list of long term goals but we can post those after we're done with this thread. None of those goals is planned for 4.6. A TODO list for OpenACS shall be used to gather information for such long term goals.

Note 4: In the past I've also ported to postgresql the latest version of ACS Workflow based on Dan's port of an earlier version. Given the fact that the designer of the package (Lars) have since join us, I think it's up to him if he wants maintain both the oracle and the postgresql version of the package.

Note 5: Like many others I've had my share of work on the OpenACS core but I'll let Don address what would happen with the core.

I think that's all for now and I look forward for your comments.

Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
Neophytos,

I've added some of the documentation work that will get done for the next release to our new TODO list, so you can see what we'll get done for acs-core-docs (package I and Vinod maintain).

Let us know of other issues that you think could be addressed in the toolkit, and we'll probably add it to the TODO list. Right now it only has things I cold remember off the top of my head (late at night), but I'm sure it'll grow 😊

The list is at http://dev.openacs.org/projects/openacs/developers/todo

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Neophytos,

Do you think the "20 things to remember.." will be useful to 4.6?  If yes I will speed it up a little.  Atleast we have 20 things that developers can agree on.

I am sorry that I can't commit much other that this small list.  Maybe I will look if I can put into 4.6 "changing the look of packages on different instances".  Not sure though.

Collapse
Posted by Neophytos Demetriou on
Roberto and myself will maintain a todo list much in the same way that it is done at postgresql.org. More about this in an another thread.
Do you think the "20 things to remember.." will be useful to 4.6? If yes I will speed it up a little. Atleast we have 20 things that developers can agree on.
Yes, I think it's useful. Just the other day I was talking to Dave (or was it Roberto, I'm not sure) that we need to enable the general-commnets package so that I could move that document in the new site's developers section and you would be its maintainer there. For 4.6 this is nice to have but not required. If there are no objections, future releases will require it. We need a quick release, now.
Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
Neophytos,

I enabled the general-comments package on ETP last night, so we could use it on the TODO list. It's working on the new site.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
I suppose it's obvious by now that Neophytos has kindly offered to take over the mechanics of organizing work on this and the next (I hope) release?

Thanks Neophytos!

The todo list is a good idea.  Sometime it would be nice to integrate Ben's old todo package into 4.x so everyone could have their own personalized TODO portlet on their home page, staring them in the face every day :)

I don't expect core changes for this quick release, I want to start 4.7 planning in parallel with this release effort though.

The big idea here is to get a release out very soon that works with dotLRN PG/Oracle so dotLRN downloaders don't need to grab a cvs snapshot.

Collapse
I suppose it's obvious by now that Neophytos has kindly offered to take over the mechanics of organizing work on this and the next (I hope) release?
I would gladly help organize the work for the next release as well. If I ever become the bottleneck I would gladly let someone else take this job.
The todo list is a good idea. Sometime it would be nice to integrate Ben's old todo package into 4.x so everyone could have their own personalized TODO portlet on their home page, staring them in the face every day :)

I don't expect core changes for this quick release, I want to start 4.7 planning in parallel with this release effort though.

Of course, you know I agree about starting 4.7 planning in parallel with this release.

However, it's important that we make the development process open and *transparent* to the community. I've kindly requested that those of us who are working on and/or maintaining a package post here as a first step in that direction.

I know it might be boring for some of you but please do take the time and post no matter how obvious it might be that you're working on a package. I also understand that you've been briefing Don about your progress but I'm sure Don would also prefer that you post here instead of mining the huge batch of emails he receives every day.

[Roberto, thank you very much for enabling the general-comments package -- looks great. If Jun agrees, we can move the "Top 20 things..." document in our development area.]

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
However, it's important that we make the development process open and *transparent* to the community.
Oh, it will be. As far as 4.7 goes the only real "planning" has been a conversation Lars and I had over coffee (with a bunch of other OpenACS folks who had come to the Amsterdam social). Lars will have some notes available for public consumption, we've all been consumed by the dotLRN governance and related issues.

Well, I have anyway.

And I want to float some proposals for work on improving the scalability of permissions and some work in the area of the groups datamodel in 4.7.

But before I can float a proposal I need to find the time to do some more research. I have some ideas in my head but need to verify that they are possible to implement - along with upgrade scripts - in reasonable time.

So ... I don't think there's any "hidden" planning going on in practice, just a desire to put together some well thought-out proposals rather than hare-brained schemes.

As far as 4.6 I know that Cathy Sarisky has been working on fixing bugs in the bookmarks package (PG version), she's on IRC all the time so you can ping her on that.

We need to keep this 4.6 list as modest as we can so we can have adequate testing of the toolkit itself, and also adequate testing with dotLRN (which increases our testing burden).

Neophytos - you probably need to ping Simon about testing. He's been silent the last few days (usually means he's busy with clients) and we need to know if OpenMSG can help organize testing again like they did for 4.5.

Collapse
Neophytos - you probably need to ping Simon about testing. He's been silent the last few days (usually means he's busy with clients) and we need to know if OpenMSG can help organize testing again like they did for 4.5.
Will do as soon as I'm back from an engagement party I have to be in a while.
Collapse
Posted by Dan Wickstrom on
Neophytos,

Here is a list of packages that I have worked on and plans for 4.6:

• acs-content-repository
    • remove RI workaround triggers (or make them conditional on pg version if we are still supporting pg 7.1)
    • Add xml import/export support of content revisions
    • Test rule dropping for custom content types
    • Add drop column support for custom content types (pg 7.2 feature)
    • Eliminate java code
  • acs-kernel
    • cleanup of sql code (naming conventions)
    • Get rid of data-change violation workaround code.
    • Eliminate java code dir
  • acs-templating - convert template db api to std api
  • acs-workflow (since this has been ported to a newer version, I'm assuming that somebody else is maintaining it)
  • Openfts - finish release of 0.33 version for tcl module
  • CMS - convert template db api to std api.

Mostly these are cleanup items that I put off after the initial porting effort. In addition, I'm taking advantage of new features now offered in pg 7.2.

Collapse
Posted by Jon Griffin on
I am not going to do any active changes on my packages.

acs-reference et al work fine and the only changes really needed are admin interfaces which aren't crucial at this time.

I also am not going to touch the message/mail stuff as I know they need to go away.

I am fixing many little things in the kernel and other packages and will share that after it is tested.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
# acs-workflow (since this has been ported to a newer version, I'm assuming that somebody else is maintaining it)
Lars and I have talked about workflow, there should be some written stuff available to talk about "real soon now".

Dan, since you're involved with both CR and FTS stuff ... would you have time to investigate fixing some broken datamodel pieces? For instance file storage derives its content revisions from content_item rather than content_revision. This is broken :( I think fixing it would require fixing the interface to the search package as well and upgrade scripts are likely to be messy. But the sooner we fix it, the fewer the number of existing live sites will have to deal with an upgrade.

Collapse
I look forward to seeing the some new ideas on workflow, and yes, I'll take a look at the broken data model pieces for file-storage.

Just for general information, the CR has some useful information which is good to review before creating new content types. Developers should look at packages/acs-content-respository/www/doc/object-model.html. The CR object model documentation states the following:

" You define new content types as subtypes of Content Revision, not of Content Item. This is because new content types are characterized by their attributes, which are stored at the revision level to make changes easy to audit. Custom content types typically do not require additional unaudited attributes or methods beyond those already provided by the Content Item type. It is thereful almost never necessary to create a custom subtype of Content Item itself. "

In addition, it contains the following diagram which is useful for understanding the CR content object hierarchy:

Notice, as Don has stated, that custom content types should inherit from content_revision, not content_item.

Collapse
We've just updated the todo list with the items claimed in this thread thus far. I'm gonna update the project status page next couple of days to give more time to the people who haven't yet posted to do so. Some packages that are obvious are the following but please confirm whether you are maintaining them or not so that we know which packages can be assigned to someone else.
  • etp (museatech and/or davb)
  • attachments, forums, notifications, acs-mail-lite, user-preference(openforce)
  • bugtracker (lars)
  • authorize-gateway, payment-gateway, shipping-gateway, payflowpro, sample-gateway, value-based-shipping (furfly and/or bart)
  • static-pages (davb)
  • cronjob (tom)
  • ecommerce (bart)
  • spam (til)
  • bookmarks (CSari)
If possible specify who's responsible within the company for each package. I'm not sure about some of the items above so please take the time and confirm.

You'll also notice that there are a lot of packages that are not listed here. People have helped port them but may not be interested in maintaining them. Please post for those that you did take responsibility and we'll see what to do with the rest -- we'll probably assign them to area maintainers, e.g. I could maintain the web services area, etc...

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
bugtracker's not ready for prime time yet (no Oracle support), though Lars is I believe beavering away at it.  I don't think we want to add any new packages to this 4.6 quickie release but should hold off until 4.7.

Comments?

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
BTW I'm hoping 4.6 is the last of the "monolithic tarball" releases, since we'll have new site up soon and will be able to set up nice repositories for packages etc.

We'll probably want to make various monolithic tarballs available (there's been talk elsewhere about various packagings that we might want to do and there needs to be much more talk) but we shouldn't be requiring every package to hit their mark when the core packages do.

The repository approach would allow Lars to finish bugtracker and release it (say) after 4.6 but before 4.7 for instance.

Collapse
Don I agree with you (re: adding new packages to 4.6). I'm asking developers to post two things:
  • open items for 4.6 and
  • the packages that they maintain so that I can compile that information in the project status page and related pages like who's on the team, etc.
Collapse
The repository approach would allow Lars to finish bugtracker and release it (say) after 4.6 but before 4.7 for instance.
Of course. All application packages could be released independently but I guess this won't be such a good idea for services.

Lars could even start a .BUGTRACKER consortium if he wanted to :)

One question though is how we should adapt our development model. For example, would Lars submit open items in the todo list? How would one contribute or ask for features to the bugtracker (email Lars or post to the forums if that's our development model)? I suppose what I'm asking is whether .LRN/.XYZ would someday become part of the OpenACS CVS tree but at the same time not subject to the development model of the project.

[I only mention Lars here as an example since you mention him.]

Collapse
Don, did you mean that the file-storage data-model was broken or did you mean to say something else?  The file-storage content type used to inherit from content-item, but it appears that it was changed so that it inherited from content-revision in version 1.9 of file-storage-create.sql, back in December of last year.
Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Dan,

I am using content_type__create_type that is where RI Triggers are right?  Deleting the content type and calling it again after your fix should be fine right?

I am also inheriting from content_item.  Since that was the default, I should change that to content_revision.  I thought the code was more updated than that diagram.

DonB,

File-storage fs_root_folders does inherit from cr_revisions.  Which I must do too.

Collapse
Posted by Robert Locke on
Have been out of the loop for the past several weeks, and I don't know if these have been addressed yet, but here are a couple of items that come to mind:

* Remove custom permissions from existing packages where possible.  For instance, I have a working version of news that uses the generic permissions (ie, create, admin, etc.) and removes the unnecessary and redundant module-specific permissions (ie, news-create, news-admin, etc)

* I also ported the FAQ module to Postgres and applied a few bug fixes.  I would gladly check that in as well...

Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
Sorry for being late to the game here.

I'm the owner of bug-tracker, and I will be working on it in the coming weeks, but I'm not sure how the timeframe will match that of the 4.6 release, and as discussed, it shouldn't be a problem.

There's currently a bug-tracker up for bug-tracker at

http://clients.museatech.net/bug-tracker/bugs/

The home page for bug-tracker is one level up from that.

Besides, Collaboraid has a page up with our thoughts about OpenACS development, including workflow and other ideas, we're toying with, here:

http://www.collaboraid.biz/openacs/

/Lars

Collapse
Hi Lars, thanks for taking the time to reply. I had in the past published those proposals in our development area (as discussed by email). Should I remove them? I think Don has already added some comments on the proposals and I was planning of doing the same.

Are you also going to maintain the acs-workflow package?

Collapse
One question though is how we should adapt our development model. For example, would Lars submit open items in the todo list? How would one contribute or ask for features to the bugtracker (email Lars or post to the forums if that's our development model)? I suppose what I'm asking is whether .LRN/.XYZ would someday become part of the OpenACS CVS tree but at the same time not subject to the development model of the project.
Well, after Lars post, I think we need to address this issue. [Lars, nothing personal]. I have nothing against people or companies maintaining packages outside of OpenACS but I think that saying that QWERTYXYZ is an OpenACS package should come to mean something.

I know at least one company/person who plans to distribute their packages built on top of OpenACS in a separate project and of course it's fine with me, IMHO -- in a way .LRN is doing the same, IMHO, which is also fine. But how does Lars bug-tracker (used as an example here) is different than those packages. How do you differentiate an OpenACS package which is subject to the development processes of the OpenACS project and a package that is in the CVS tree but has its own development processes, probably not subject to the development processes of the OpenACS project.

I'm not saying that Lars intentions are to act outside the OpenACS project or anything, so please don't take this the wrong way. These are just ideas/thoughts that hit my head.

Apologies, if I'm missing the point here but I would appreciate if someone could enlighten me a bit.

Collapse
Posted by Tilmann Singer on
I am listed above as maintainer for the spam package, which is ok for me but since the plan is to replace it as soon as possible with the new bulk-mail package (which I haven't looked at yet) there won't be any development on it from my side.
Collapse
Robert, Tilmann: Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Robert, I'm gonna add the open items you're working on in our todo list.

Tilmann, no problem about not improving spam further until bulk-mail takes its place. I suppose from your post, that it is ok to list you as the spam package maintainer -- just in case there are some bugs/patches posted in the forums or the SDM.

Collapse
Posted by Cathy Sarisky on
As Don mentioned, I'm doing some work on bookmarks.  Peter Marklund has also expressed interest (he did the port), and I hope he's still interested.

I can handle the PostgreSQL side, perhaps with Peter.  Maybe someone else will volunteer for the Oracle side (which may need less work)?

To do for 4.6 (PostgreSQL):

1.  Check out the many problems I've seen with 7.1.3, see if they occur with 7.2 also.

2.  Nuke the show-stopper bugs.  (Crashes, inability to move or delete bookmarks.)

3.  Fix subsite awareness.  To do this may require using the entire tree_sortkey from acs_objects, instead of the truncated version currently in use.  (Which means we'd need an upgrade script.)

4.  Fix the interface so that a user with admin privs doesn't add bookmarks to another user's page quite so easily.

Collapse
Posted by Ben Adida on
Here are the OpenACS packages that OpenForce currently manages (although we've also gotten many patches from the community on these! Thanks to all contributors):
  • forums - in good state (thanks all for the patches!)
  • calendar (uggh) - in okay state, wish we could rewrite it from scratch
  • attachments - works well, integrated with forums and calendar
  • notifications - works well, integrated with forums, manages incoming email queues
  • acs-mail-lite - you should all use this! It's cool! :)
  • bulk-mail - works well, spam with subst vars
  • new-portal / portal - still a bit rough to use outside of dotLRN, but getting there (moving this to OpenACS)
  • a bunch of portlet packages - FAQ, news, calendar, bulk-mail, forum (moving these to OpenACS)
  • a handful of revamped Tcl APIs in the core (permission, etc...)
  • profile-provider and user-profile
  • user-preferences - not quite ready for prime time
Collapse
Ben, thank you very much for taking the time to reply -- this thread would have been a *lot* poorer without OpenForce posting about the packages they maintain.
Collapse
Posted by Samir Joshi on
Hi Neophytos,
Myself and colleagues have worked on these :

FAQ
Wimpy Point
Glossary
Poll

Open 4.6 items
1. FAQ port to Postgres
2. Wimpy Point and Glossary : bug fixes
3. Wimpy-Point and glossary : XML import/export
4. Wimpy-Point : Printer -friendly view of presentation ( Thanks to Carl for suggestion) . Konequeror browse has print to PDF file feature, thus any presentation can be converted to single HTML or PDF file.

Notes :
1. Item #1 above is committed to 4.5 HEAD branch by Dan Chak for dotLRN. Before starting work on it I did not know Robert had the port for it. I think and ETP page per package on new site will help avoiding these kind of duplication.
2.No upgrade scripts required
3. Items # 2-4 are almost done and I can post changes in couple of days. Though I am not sure if you and community will like to include #3 above. In general, Dan W 's idea of having XML i/e generically from CR is facinating. We can have a mapping tool that can map a particular DTD/schema to CR data model. There is a post in this thread by a Sydeney Uni. student - Sandhya - that she wants to work on ETP export/import on similar lines : https://openacs.org/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=0005Ws&topic_id=15&topic=dotLRN%20Development)

Collapse
It's a good idea, but it's not mine.  The oracle version, as far as I know (never having tried it), supports import/export of content revision items using xml.  My idea, is to move this out of the db and use ns_xml to provide xml import/export for both oracle and postgresql.
Collapse
Samir, thank you very much for the update. Either me or Roberto will add the posted open items in our todo list tonight. A generalized xml import/export service would be great. I suggest we wait until I post a RFC about adding support for tDOM in the OpenACS kernel at the end of this week. tDOM is way faster than ns_xml and more feature complete.

You and Robert could discuss in what ways your work on the FAQ package intersects and let me/us know who is going to be the package maintainer. You can be both, of course. Let us know if we can help in any way.

Collapse
Posted by Vinod Kurup on
Because of my new job, I haven't been as active as I have in the past. For that reason, I'm also opening up all the packages that I've been working on to others who would be interested in maintaining them. I'm still going to be following OpenACS closely, but I feel guilty being partly in charge of documentation when there are probably so many people in the community that could do it better.

Here's the packages that I've worked on:

• acs-core-docs - plans:
    • those that roberto mentioned above
    • incorporate all the comments that people have made on the pages into the docs. I've done a lot of this, but I'd specifically like help with revamping our AOLServer instructions to take into account Pascal's comments about proper security measures on this page (https://openacs.org/doc/openacs-4/aolserver.html)
    • I added a Makefile inside acs-core-docs/www/xml so the HTML docs, example files and images can be created with 1 command (assuming you have DocBook and xsltproc installed on your system). If you do edit docs, please only edit stuff under the xml directory. *Everything* above that directory (ie. HTML files, config files, images) is generated from substrate below the xml directory.
    • enduser's guide (i know that some are working on this)
    • OpenACS for admin guide. I've converted a prelim outline to WP (https://openacs.org/wp/display/453/. Now it needs content 😊 Greg McMullan is helping out here.
    • revamp developer guide (update for OpenACS)
  • acs-mail and acs-messaging - as Jon mentioned, these should either be combined or perhaps replaced. I haven't touched these in a while, but i wrote some thoughts about them way back when (http://kurup.com/acs/openacs-mail.html). acs-mail has some very rudimentary pieces in place for incoming mail. It also can send out multipart mail. But it's pretty ugly... in any case, i have no plans to change anything here for 4.6.
  • download - No plans for 4.6. This package seems to work OK, although it does the *wrong* thing by inheriting from cr_items and cr_revisions. Down the road, this package could be simplified.
  • notes - haven't touched this much since I ported it.
  • ticket-tracker - also no changes planned for 4.6. A drawback of this package is that tickets inherit from acs_messages, which as mentioned above, may be on its way out.
  • ticket-tracker-lite - Got a UI makeover from Jun for 4.6. Upgrade script provided (added 1 PL/SQL function).
Collapse
Posted by Luke Pond on
Thanks for alerting me to this thread, Neophytos. I'm the package maintainer for edit-this-page.

The main problem with the current version of the package is that it doesn't support Oracle, because it relies on the postgresql-only "tree_sortkey" field for ordering items on a page.

DaveB and I have a complete rewrite of the package underway, one goal of which is to ensure correct usage of the content repository. However, I don't think we will have anything finished in time to make it part of 4.6, so I'm going to say there are no open items for the 4.6 release.

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Neophytos and Vinod,

Since Ticket Tracker Lite last few changes was submitted by me to Vinod.  I will be glad to help Vinod on that.  Maybe refine those changes if needed.  Also I think my changes was Postgres only.  I can do the Oracle port if needed.

Collapse
Posted by Peter Marklund on
Cathy, I will be glad to discuss the Bookmarks issues with you and also spend some time solving them.

Neophytos: What is the release date for 4.6 that we are shooting for? Should we have a 4.6 status page, with a table of tasks, and link to it from the new openacs.org homepage?

Collapse
Peter, it's September 15. Yes we will have a project status page that is why I started this thread in the first place and I'm working on it. It will be posted by the end of the week so that everyone takes the time to post the packages s/he maintains.
Collapse
Posted by Vinod Kurup on
Since Ticket Tracker Lite last few changes was submitted by me to Vinod. I will be glad to help Vinod on that. Maybe refine those changes if needed. Also I think my changes was Postgres only. I can do the Oracle port if needed.

Thanks Jun, but I did the Oracle port already. Ticket-Tracker-Lite should be all set, unless you have more changes 😊

Collapse
Posted by Ben Adida on
Samir: unless you've totally rewritten FAQ, we ported it to PG correctly (see
the dotlrn.openforce.net site running FAQ on PG).
Collapse
Luke, I think that edit-this-page is a similar case to the bug-tracker, right? I think we need to seriously address my posts above in this thread so that we are sure that the packages that "belong" into the OpenACS project are subject to the governing rules and processes of the OpenACS project. The main issue is not bug-tracker or edit-this-page but any future packages, e.g. from .LRN that made clear they are going to be a separate project in terms of governance and so on...

"... what was first submitted to as a convenience, was afterwards claimed as a right" -- Thomas Paine

I've asked something relevant in my latest post to the "dotLRN governance rules" thread: https://openacs.org/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=0005cM&topic_id=15&topic=dotLRN%20Development

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Static-Pages : no changes planned
Clickthrough: no changes planned
Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
Neophytos,

Are you asking that we move the bug-tracker home page and bug-tracker to the openacs.org site? I don't have a problem with that, and I don't think that Musea would either (though I'd understand and accept if they want to keep the home page on a musea.net URL just to get a little credit from their investment and gift to the community).

The reasoning was simple: It was too tempting to use bug-tracker to keep track of bugs in bug-tracker. Eat your own dog shit, and all that. And I don't have access to old openacs.org, so I couldn't put a page up there.

Once the new site is up, I don't have a problem with moving bug-tracker stuff over there.

Is that what you were asking for?

/Lars

Collapse
Posted by Michael Feldstein on

Neophytos wrote:

Well, after Lars post, I think we need to address this issue. [Lars, nothing personal]. I have nothing against people or companies maintaining packages outside of OpenACS but I think that saying that QWERTYXYZ is an OpenACS package should come to mean something.

I know at least one company/person who plans to distribute their packages built on top of OpenACS in a separate project and of course it's fine with me, IMHO -- in a way .LRN is doing the same, IMHO, which is also fine. But how does Lars bug-tracker (used as an example here) is different than those packages. How do you differentiate an OpenACS package which is subject to the development processes of the OpenACS project and a package that is in the CVS tree but has its own development processes, probably not subject to the development processes of the OpenACS project.

I think I agree with this, but I want to be sure I understand it. Are you suggesting that there ought to be some process by which some (formal or informal) governing body blesses a package as an OpenACS package, thus preserving the branding of OpenACS? If so, then I agree completely. One approach that some standards bodies take is to create two distinct labels: one for something that the manufacturer claims is compatible with XYZ and the other which the XYZ governing body has officially blessed. So, for example, you could have developers who claim their packages are "dotLRN-compatible" or "OpenACS-compatible" without anybody jumping down their throats, but they'd have to get permission to claim that their package is a "dotLRN package" or an "OpenACS package."

Now, in the case, where you have two or more organizations that are each claiming the ability to "bless" a package, you need means of negotiating between those organizations. Note that the problem is not, strictly speaking, an issue of both organizations potentially blessing the same package. In fact, that would probably be a positive thing, because it allows developers to leverage their work across both the base toolkit and the various vertical apps that may be built on top. No, the problem comes when the two bodies have conflicting code requirements in order to get the package certified.

How serious this conflict in requirements is depends on how central the package is. It probably wouldn't be too terrible, for example, if there needed to be a separate "dotLRN-glossary" distinct from "glossary." OTOH, if dotLRN had conflicting requirements for, say, the content repository, we'd have a pretty serious problem.

So, IMHO, OpenACS needs to work out a policy to sort out this sort of issue with developers of add-on applications, whether those developers are consortia like dotLRN or individual companies like Collaboraid. (And yes, I think this policy needs to come from the OpenACS community rather than dotLRN or someplace else. We need to set up ground rules that encourage people to build on top of OpenACS in a way that is fair to everyone and that discourages forking.)

The easiest place to start is with the core. It seems clear to even a non-techie like me that anything that belongs in the minimal OpenACS distribution should be owned by OpenACS. It may make sense to create a non-profit entity that holds copyright on the OpenACS core. Non-core packages are, I think, a bit fuzzier. We need a process.

Neophytos, is this consistent with your concerns?

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Vinod,

I don't plan to add more changes to ticket-tracker lite.  We will just do bug fixes in case some thing crops up.

For the next longer release (4.7) we need to discuss if to keep ticket-tracker lite or just have ticket tracker alone.  In case we decide ticket-tracker lite we have to slim it down to reuse the core codes and standards.  That will be one bloody upgrade script.  I am glad ticket-tracker lite is 4.6 ready.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
(though I'd understand and accept if they want to keep the home page on a musea.net URL just to get a little credit from their investment and gift to the community).
I've been planning to start an entire new thread on this issue once the dust settles on 4.6 planning and dotLRN governance.

How do we give proper credit to companies who give code back?

I don't want to muddle this thread with that issue but we need to talk about it in another thread soon. MIT/OF gave tons back (new-portal, forums, etc), Musea's given code, Furfly the first ecommerce port etc etc.

Please, though, not here ... this should be a separate thread in our general forum.

Collapse
Posted by Walter McGinnis on
I'm the package owner for both the photo-album and photo-album-lite.  As some of you already know the plan is for the two packages to be consolidated (take the best features from both).

More information can be found in these other threads:

https://openacs.org/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=00058y&topic_id=OpenACS&topic=11

https://openacs.org/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=0004Wu&topic_id=12&topic=OpenACS%204%2e0%20Design

https://openacs.org/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=0004V3&topic_id=OpenACS&topic=11

As I have mentioned before, I don't want to stand in the way of progress on the photo-album.  I don't currently have the financial/time bandwidth to sustain development of the photo-album.  Unless someone would like to help fund the project, I would like to step down as package owner.  There seems to be a lot of interest in this package and how it can be generalized to handle image archiving.  I'm hoping someone will step up to the plate and coordinate bug fixes (pretty stable IIRC) for 4.6 and new development for 4.7.

One interesting suggestion was for a student to take this on as Masters project.  It should be noted that Jesse Koontz worked on the photo-database (part of what the photo-album evolved from)for his Masters from MIT...

Thanks,

Collapse
Posted by Janine Ohmer on
Neophytos,

Bart is the maintainer for

• authorize-gateway
  • shipping-gateway
  • value-based-shipping

and furfly is the maintainer for

• payment-gateway
  • payflowpro
  • sample-gateway
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Neophytos has dropped out, again, without warning for the second time after making personal commitments to the project.

We need another bookkeeper - any volunteers?  I truly don't have time and trust me, you'll have full support and enjoy total delegation in the task (as long as the community agrees with your approach).

Collapse
Posted by Samir Joshi on
Ben wrote : Samir: unless you've totally rewritten FAQ, we ported it to PG correctly (see the dotlrn.openforce.net site running FAQ on PG).

Ben, as I noted in my earlier post in this thread, Dan Chak has committed code I wrote to OpenACS 4.5 HEAD branch, that is what probably you are referring to. I have not rewritten it after that. AFIK, Robert Locke's version is better at least in that it gets rid of custom privileges, and it is upto him ( I sent him the code) and gatekeeper(s) to merge the two versions.

Collapse
Neophytos has dropped out, again, without warning for the second time after making personal commitments to the project.
Don, I suggest you watch the language you use when you refer to my name, especially when one of the primary reasons I "dropped out" as you say is the way *you* handle the .LRN issue.
Collapse
Posted by defunct defunct on
Don,

As you're aware the testing effort would form part of the release process anyway so I'm partly involved.

I have to be honest and make you aware that at the moment we (OM) are stretched for resources so I don't have a great deal of time spare, but if whoever takes this role over needs any assistance/support I'll try to help out. (we'll still organise the testing of course, although if its going to have value this time we *REALLY* need some committed testers...*Wink Wink, nudge nudge*)

Sorry I can't offer more at the moment.

Simon

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Ahhh ... the problem with file storage ... I'll need to look into this again.  Yeah, files should be derived from content_revision just as Jun says.  My problem had to do with cr_item_rels and it may've been my use of it that was broken, not the CR.