Forum OpenACS Development: Response to Open 4.6 items & project status

Collapse
Posted by Neophytos Demetriou on
One question though is how we should adapt our development model. For example, would Lars submit open items in the todo list? How would one contribute or ask for features to the bugtracker (email Lars or post to the forums if that's our development model)? I suppose what I'm asking is whether .LRN/.XYZ would someday become part of the OpenACS CVS tree but at the same time not subject to the development model of the project.
Well, after Lars post, I think we need to address this issue. [Lars, nothing personal]. I have nothing against people or companies maintaining packages outside of OpenACS but I think that saying that QWERTYXYZ is an OpenACS package should come to mean something.

I know at least one company/person who plans to distribute their packages built on top of OpenACS in a separate project and of course it's fine with me, IMHO -- in a way .LRN is doing the same, IMHO, which is also fine. But how does Lars bug-tracker (used as an example here) is different than those packages. How do you differentiate an OpenACS package which is subject to the development processes of the OpenACS project and a package that is in the CVS tree but has its own development processes, probably not subject to the development processes of the OpenACS project.

I'm not saying that Lars intentions are to act outside the OpenACS project or anything, so please don't take this the wrong way. These are just ideas/thoughts that hit my head.

Apologies, if I'm missing the point here but I would appreciate if someone could enlighten me a bit.