Forum .LRN Q&A: .LRN evaluation

Collapse
Posted by Elena Garcés on
We are in evaluation phase of e-learning platforms in my university. We need information about performance and scalability of .LRN platform in relation with other LMS like WebCT, Blackboard and Moodle. The specific information will be:

How often there the platform presents flaws for defects or errors.
When there is a flaw, the platform allows maintaining his functions.
What is the performance and time of answer in the execution of functions?
Resources used in the .LRN server.
What is the scalability and possibility to increase the number of students and courses? What is the maximum number of courses and students for course in the platform?

Also we like to know about support services.

Thanks, for your attention and the information that you can provide us.

Collapse
2: Re: .LRN evaluation (response to 1)
Posted by Tracy Adams on
A key distinction of the .LRN platform is that you are 100% in control of the code and the management. There are over 100 different packages you can choose to add to your class, plus you can develop your own. So you have 100% control and access.

Typically what happens is this. There is no "purchasing" of the platform like ou would with WebCT or Blackboard. Instead, you select from one of the .LRN/OpenACS vendors to provide you support. The vendor will help you select which modules you want to use, help you install and/or host it, and or be responsible for fixing any issues that come up. The choice of your support vendor will be key, as that will be your day-to-day resource for any issues and also in getting the most out of .LRN.

We vendors then all work together, along with the universities, to keep the central platform improving as a whole.

.LRN is continuously improving and adding features via a community effort. So by virtue of this, as far as number of defects, what tends to happen is that the core of the system is very stable, and then in some of the packages there will be a few easy to fix issues or maybe some customizations you want to make to fit into your environment.

Again, this is why the support vendor arrangement is important --- the vendor should be on top of the current state of the platform and also be able to fix these for you pretty easily.

The computation resources used by .LRN is relatively low. A typical university (say up to 10000 students) can run off of one machine. They may use 2 separate servers (database and web) to scale further or perhaps have 2 webservers for reduncancy purposes. (Some sysadmin-types probably can post more about the specific server choices).

I'm sure other people can post regarding some specific case studies the # of people and courses. The underlying technology (OpenACS) has supported sites of a million users.

The universities I've personall worked with have had students in the 10's of thousands and classes in the hundreds at one time (and then thousands in the archive). This is by no means the largest.

Collapse
3: Re: .LRN evaluation (response to 1)
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Elena,

I have both first hand experience in developing for .lrn and moodle. Below is not everything but should give you some preliminary comparison:

* custom features and functionality
- .lrn is better than moodle since .lrn is built on a web framework (openacs). OpenACS has a more mature API for developing web apps.

* out of the box
- moodle has better out of the box functionality, it may depend on what you need. But in general moodle has a lot of functionality for the edu sector needs
- moodle is also easier to install

* scalability
- .lrn will scale better than moodle. .lrn software stack is built to scale (aolserver, postgres/oracle, unix) The number of users using a .lrn install shows this. However moodle can scale also, I am currently working for a company that is hosting 35k moodle users.

* integration
- moodle has more out of the box integration tools. I believe due to more number of moodle install it was integrated with more external systems. moodle has more authentication and enrolment plugins.

Hope this helps.

Collapse
4: Re: .LRN evaluation (response to 1)
Posted by Caroline Meeks on
Solution Grove can provide a trial site if you need one.