Forum OpenACS Development: Command line to compile Javascript file please

As you can tell, I'm pretty new to OpenACS.

Our system was migrated to Open ACS end of March. It was customised to suit our requirements and we have no documentation on the customisation.

So, to fix up bugs, we are searching for files and scanning the code.

I've found a javascript file ( .js ) that I want to change, and it must be compiled. We have a develpment server, to try out things.

Could someone please tell me the command line to compile it?

We are currently putting together a list of top bugs to be fixed, and will be approaching a programmer from here for a quote.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Collapse
Posted by Gustaf Neumann on
The javascript files are interpreted, no compilation is necessary.
Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Javascript files are interpreted on the browser. So its downloaded from the webserver (aolserver) to your browser and interpreted in your local machine's browser.

You may just need to force refresh your browser, and/or clear all the caches and reload the page.

Collapse
Posted by Julieanne van Zyl on
Thanks for your replies Jun and Gustaf.

I thought the js file was interpreted too, and another file in the directory makes it look like the js file was compiled.

In the same directory, there's a file called

richtext_compressed.js which looks like it's been compiled. Do you know why?

This is the directory and some of the files within it.
richtext.js is the file I want to work on.

/pi/packages/acs-templating/www/resources/rte
richtext_compressed.js
richtext_compressed.js.new
richtext_compressed.js.old
richtext.js

Collapse
Posted by Gustaf Neumann on
there are several .js compressors out there which safe bandwidth and obfuscate the code. openacs uses the only richtext.js.
Collapse
Posted by Jim Lynch on
(quote)... and we have no documentation on the customisation.(/quote)

Is there no way to get the original migrators you used to supply docs? It would of course be very helpful to any future effort to have them. Worth paying for; the alternative being that you would have to read the code, figure out what they intended and write them.