Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Error on OS X using install-ns.sh

Collapse
Posted by Gustaf Neumann on
NaviServer does not do anything for specifying the socket, it just uses the defaults from the postgres client library.
Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Thanks for confirming that. I'll have to figure out where it gets that information.

I don't seem to be able to find more than one version of psql. I did

sudo su -
cd /
find . -type f -name "psql"

and only the home brew install of psql was found.

Is there another way I can look for another postgresql install? I am running OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks.

next I looked at the postgresql install script that builds postgresql https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/blob/master/Library/Formula/postgresql.rb

I don't see any configuration that changes the default socket directory. Presumably the Naviserver database driver is connecting to a misconfigured library? The socket is definitely in /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432 and that is the default setting for Postgresql, from what I can find.

Any other ideas where to look? I'd like to be able to consistenly install it correctly, and if possible find the home brew postgresql install script, but I don't see where this is changed when postgresql is compiled.

Collapse
Posted by Michael Aram on
Hello Dave,

IIRC, when compiling PG manually the default location of the socket is in /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432. When using PG from the distribution, it is somewhere else.

Anyhow, when I install OpenACS, I typically use a wrapper script for starting NaviServer, which includes the PATH to PG. To be honest, I dont know if this is (still) really needed, but maybe it helps?

function install_nsd_pg {
# Add wrapper script
local NSD_PREFIX=$1
local PG_VERSION=$2
local PG_PREFIX=$3

cat <<EOF > ${NSD_PREFIX}/bin/nsd-pg${PG_VERSION}
#!/bin/bash
export PATH=\$PATH:${PG_PREFIX}/bin
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=\$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:${PG_PREFIX}/lib:${NSD_PREFIX}/lib
ulimit -c unlimited
exec ${NSD_PREFIX}/bin/nsd \$*
EOF