Forum OpenACS Development: Skinning of forums

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
If I want to change the look and feel of forums, where I just change a couple of colors around, how should I go about it?

I know we talked about a lot of different and also generalized methods on skinning and Jeff had some ideas there, but I don't recall anything specific got onto the table. Note, we are not using .LRN.

My idea would be to have a CSS file that overrides the site master CSS files. But will this work, I mean when I pass this on as "header_stuff" will it read the CSS last and even if it does will it overwrite the other settings. Or am I totally on the wrong track here ?

Collapse
2: Re: Skinning of forums (response to 1)
Posted by Torben Brosten on
I would avoid caching issues by using a different filename (than site-master.css ) when introducing another css style that uses the same style names. For example, Safari has been difficult to work with in web design, because it tends to use the cache unless one manually clears it --otherwise it's really nice to browse with.
Collapse
3: Re: Skinning of forums (response to 1)
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Malte,

Today, the best bet is to pass a differente CSS file in header stuff.

I think forums has alot of opportunities to add forums specific classes and might even already have some. The last time I checked there were actually parameters for the colors in forums, so the quickest solution is to use those.