Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: A Customer's Self-Service Interface to Bug Tracker!?!

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your comments concerning promotion. I agree very much with you concerning possible negative reactions. However, it's important to think about "channels" and to branch away from "current OpenACS habits": Biggest OSS toolkit on earth? Least known toolkit on earth? I firmly believe that you have to experiment (I like your "see what sticks at the wall") and even to accept some negative feedback in order to "get your message through".

you REALLY WANT TO DO THIS RIGHT

Sorry, but I don't agree with that. SQL-Ledger focuses on "double-entry accounting", while ]po[ focuses on "project controlling". There is no right or wrong, just a focus on physical product (with inventory, inventory valoration, depreciation etc.) vs. service enterprises (project profit & loss, employee productivity, cash-flow, etc.). Accounting for service companies is like OpenACS for a static web site - possible, but it requires experts and loads of free time... But btw., the announcement of the SQL-Ledger port is about a year old, are there any news?

reporting

Reporting is "lame" anyway. Data-warehousing is a more flexible and powerful alternative. Checkout Mondrian + JPivot or OpenI for a complete OSS stack.

Btw., we've got our own TCL reporting engine (including groupings and sub-totals per group), but it's not GPLed and it's probably going to stay proprietary. Writing reports is so _incredibly_boring_ ...

Frank