Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Thoughts on CCM

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Richard,

I apologize for saying that the core development team is not with Red Hat anymore.  I think I should rephrase that into I am not familiar who else is working at Red Hat's engineering team.  Karl G, Lars, Yon and Michael B is not there anymore.  I guess the developer who keeps appearing in the code and docs that I don't know the status is Bryan Quinn.  Can we know who are working on CCM?  Again I apologize no negative intention was meant.

I like the rpm of 5.1 I have been using it with Vadim and Richard Su its a real step forward.

I hope that we get some place even a mailing list.  Me, Nick Anger and Ming has been keeping in touch with one another using our address book.  That is really very bad.  The community is in much worse shape than before.  I can't wait for ECM why can't a mailing list will do for the meantime its been months since we where promised the bboards will be up.  Maybe a CCM place here at OpenACS but I am not sure if its ok since some OpenACS community members does not welcome the thought of CCM.  Please even a mailing list will do.

Peter,

I have to agree that CCM is a lot more complex and less community support than getting Velocity, Struts, etc.  But I think the same way was OpenACS in the PHP, Apache world.  OpenACS has integration and complexity with it, so we choose OpenACS than getting the different scripts out there.  I guess the same way goes with CCM.  Although CCM does make use of some Java OSS libs out there.  I think the complexity of OpenACS and CCM has been a double edge sword.  Its good for technical people but it kept it away from wide spread acceptance.

Andrew,

Like you I don't know the answer.  I posted the question here since what I have stated I am not capable to implement or validate the idea.  I was hoping some CCM or Java expert will give a good opinion about it.

For a newbie opinion I think Beanshell is better for CCM.  Tcl Blend or DanW's nsjava is good for OpenACS.  Jacl I don't know.  But based from Beanshell's intro it seem to be inspired by Tcl Blend and Jacl.  But Beanshell is not Tcl specific but it was inpired by Tcl.  I even read somewhere that BeanShell support Tcl syntax.  Not sure though.

All,

I hope CCM gets a mailing list or something.  Its not expected the Red Hat people go to the mailing list but atleast there is a common place for CCM discussion.  Or maybe the senior members of this community to be kind enough to put a CCM category or forum.