Forum OpenACS Q&A: Change template1 in PG for new datamodel

We have a production database openacs 3 running on postgresql 7.1.2. Now we want to add a second database. When I use the command:

createdb mydb2

It creates a new database from template1. NOT what I want. I want to create a new blank database and use the 3.2.5 datamodel. Template1 has the old model with modifications I don't want.

QUESTION: How do I make a blank database on an already running pg installation so I can load a different datamodel.

The answer may be useful later when I want to try out the OpenAcs 4 series although I may need a newer version of PG for this.

TIA
-Bob

Collapse
Posted by David Walker on
Template1 is copied to each new database you create. If you modify Template1 you interfere with your ability to create a new blank database.

Later versions (7.2 I think) add a template0 that is a bare empty database and also add the ability to define different databases as templates. So you could install the basic OpenACS data model into a database called something like "OpenACS_Template" and create a new openacs db with a command similar to "create database my_openacs_site with template='OpenACS_Template'"
Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
From the createdb man page:

-T, --template template
              Specifies the template database from which to build this database.
Collapse
Posted by MaineBob OConnor on

Thanks David and Roberto,

My man page for createdb does not show the --template command, yet it WORKS.... Must have been a new feature in pg 7.1.2.
The command used:

createdb --template template0 mydb2

-Bob