Forum OpenACS Development: Initial user docs for 4.5 Bboards

Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
Hey guys,

Here is a very quick bit of user docs for the Bboards in 4.5/4.6. Not forums, but Bboards. It's something I wrote up very basically for some users I invited into our Extranet.

I hope these can be a beginning. Of course, there are a lof of things that can be added. I have a feeling that user docs may best be written as FAQs.

In order for this doc to be finished, screen shots should be added. In addition to, of course, this stuff being written in Docbooks (which I expect to do).

talli

In order to use this system, here are the instructions.

1) By now, you will have received an email with your password. It will be a jumble of letters and numbers. If you need another one, let me know and I will reset it for you.
2) Go to http://clients.museatech.net
3) At the top right of the page, you will see a login box. In the space requesting user ID, input the email address with which you received the system notification. In the password box, input the password that is in the notification email. (to change the system password, see the "My profile" doc.
4) Once you login, go the bottom of the page and you will see a number of links. Among them is one that says "Benefit Project"
5) Select that one and you will see a page that says "Bboard" Select that link
6) You will be taken to a new page with a link to "Benefit Events" That will take you to this area.

Those are instructions for logging into the system. These are instructions for using the bulleting boards:

1) Select a forum you would like to read. In this case, the only one available is Benefit Events.
2) This will take you to a new page. You will see a list of links called "threads". Each thread is begun by someone who has an idea or thought for conversation. After that idea, anyone is able to come and respond to that idea. A thread is a page with all of the response posts that people make. Each thread has a title that is a hyper link to the entire thread. Select one that you are interested in.
3) Once you are in a thread, you will see a chronological order of posts. You can go down the page reading each one. At the bottom of the page, you will see a box that says "Reply" If you would like to comment on the thread, hit this button.
4) The next page you will see will be similar to what composing an email using Hotmail or Yahoo! mail is like. You will see a one line text area for a Subject and then an area for the Message. If you are replying to a thread, the default will be "Re: This thread's subject". You can write your thought for the thread there and then hit the "Post Message" button at the bottom of the page.
5) The next page will be a page to confirm your post. You will have an opportunity to review your thought and make sure it is what you intended to say. If you are not comfortable with your thought, use your back button to return to the previous area where you composed the message. If you are fine with your thought, hit the "Confirm" button.
6) Your message will be posted and sent via email to the subscribed members of the forum.

After logging into the system for the first time, there is another way to reach the forums. Here are the instructions:

1) When logging into clients.museatech.net, check the box that asks if you would like a cookie to be set. This will make your browser remember your login to this site. Each time you visit, you will be automatically be logged in.
2) When you receive an alert from the bulletin boards, there will be a URL to go directly to that conversation. You can either select that link directly which, depending on your email applicaiton, will launch a browser for you or cut and paste that URL into your browser. This will take you directly to the thread you are interested in.

Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
When writing this little thingie, I had a thought for adding a little key next to the text areas for Bboards, but could be used in any instance.

There is usually the option to choose to make a post either in HTML or in plain text. However, many users will not know how to use HTML, so that feature could be confusing or a useless appendage.

However, there is usually enough real estate next to the text box to add a small key that provides the instructions for simple tags like bold, italics, link, etc. In addition, there should be examples next to or under each item. For instance:

Bold = <b> </b> | Use = <b>Hello, this is my post</b> = Hello, this is my post
Italics = <i></i> | Use = <i>Hello, this is my post</i> = Hello, This is my post
Link = <a href=></a> | Use = <a href=http://www.foo.com>foo</a> = foo
Email address = <a href=mailto:></a> | Use <a href=mailto:foo@bar.com>foo bar</a> = foo bar 

This little key could be added either as an image or a little text box.

talli

Collapse
Posted by Ben Koot on
Hi Tali

Good idea. I have another addition that might solve your real estate concern. If we limit the default width of the text collumn you end up with enough white space in the margin of the page, so it will not look cluttered. Reading text over the full width of the screen is unpleasant anyway. I now adjust this by adding an html tag, but that's no solution ofcourse.

By having such an area, that site administrators could use to add their own instructions it also gives basic functionality to customise a site without going into programming.

Collapse
Posted by Carl Robert Blesius on
Talli, I think it would be great to have a standard way of displaying help information at the operation point where it is actually needed. A red bold ? (in this case next to the format option) would be enough (the fewer required images the better)... eventually we will be in a situation where user documentation will exist in multiple languages and I would really like to see it kept simple and as close to where it is needed as possible (integrating as much as possible in the UI and having all additional help in a standard location). I have not used the old Mac OS much, but I do remember bubble help ( http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/lp22/IS204/online.html ) and being able to turn it on and off. Something to think about...
Collapse
Posted by Caroline Meeks on
A friend of mine is looking for a free java BBoard system and I wrote him this email about our BBoard.

These are features in the OACS BBoard you may not find in other free bboards.

1. Ability to reply by email from you mail client and have it posted to the forum.

2. Ability to choose instant, or batched hourly or daily alert frequency.

3. Supports text and html messages.

4. Threaded and flat views. Custom views (like geographical presentation) are easy to add.

5. Distributed administration. Ability to give different people admin rights on different bboards.

6. Moderated or unmoderated option.

7. Ability restrict nonadmin from creating new threads for more organized discussions.

8. View all the posts by a single user.

9. Completely open source and customizable.

But its not java..If you need java this list may help you identify which features are important to you so you can choose a package.  AOLServer does have java capability so if you need to implement a few classes to integrate with other systems you can.