Forum OpenACS Development: Port of OACS3 Classifieds to OACS4

Collapse
Posted by Paul Doerwald on

I'm working on a client project (OACS4.6) which requires a Classifieds system. The plan was to port Classifieds (/gc) from OACS3, but I'm not sure what the best way to do it is.

Goals

• The client wants classifieds primarily for job postings.
  • I'd like to build something generic that can be reused by the OpenACS community.
  • I'd like to do it near budget. That is, I have $x to build classifieds for the customer, and I'm happy to throw in some of my own time to make classifieds something useful for everyone. At the same token, I can't spend the time building all sorts of wild feature creep stuff, so I'd like to keep classifieds down to the basics for this initial version.

I've looked at OACS3 /gc code and it is pretty simple. Big classified_ads table that has a bunch of columns for all sorts of uses: one_line, description, salary, location, colour, manufacturer, size. Not every column is relevant for every use of the classifieds system.

Question 1: Is it considered better* to have a big table with lots of fields for every possible use, or to break this down, leaving perhaps just one_line and description with a few hints?

*better is obviously a subjective term. With it I'm referring to what the consensus is among the OACS decision-makers.

Question 2: What approach should I use? Options I've considered are:

• Implement in much the same way as OACS3 /gc -- a table for current ads, a table for revisions.
  • Use the content repository and create custom content types.

I'm leaning toward the latter, but then I have to make some pretty heavy decisions re: question 1.

If you were writing a classifieds system, how would you do it?

Thanks.

Collapse
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Paul,

We would use Content Repository.  And make use of ACS Attributes.  In fact I think the package is almost finished by Deds.

I think Cathy is also making a Classifieds module.  I have seen Deds code and its is very good.  Not sure when the source will be available.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
Content Repository.  Please.
Collapse
Posted by Deds Castillo on
Paul,

My port is general enough so that it can be used on any type of container-item relationship. It builds forms dynamically from attributes so this means you can add your fields (as another column on the table, or as a generic variable which gets stored in my own attribute_values table) and it will be seen automatically by the system.

It also gets rid of the domain in the old classifieds in favor of instance tracking via package_id. It uses content repository and support for categorization is done via cr_keywords. UI is not yet complete though and right now it's Postgres only as I needed it fast for a paying client. You should see it in action in a live site the next week or so. There are more code I'd like to add (and correct) like proper support for templating and stuff, but If you want to see the code now then I can send you an oacs package.

Collapse
Posted by tammy m on
Did the any of the proposed Classified Ads upgrades to OACS4.x get finished and if so where do I find one?!
Thanks.
Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
I have Paul's and Ded's classifieds ads rewrite for OpenACS 4. I have made modifications to it, but it's not yet very usable. By tomorrow I will be committing it to CVS in the contrib area until it's ready and if it's decided it should move into the main trunk.

-Roberto

Collapse
Posted by Denis Barut on
Hi Roberto,

I just check the contrib folder and I can't see any classifieds package, did you change the location ?

Also, tell me if i can do something to help finishing the package.

Thanks

Denis

Collapse
Posted by Jorge Quintana on
HI Denis
Did you get the package of classifieds?. I can help to finish the package if you want. Please send me a copy to mailto:alejandroquio@galileo.edu
  Thanks
Collapse
Posted by Denis Barut on
Hi Jorge,

i had some emails with Roberto, and he told me that he has to check with Don before to add this package in the CVS.

since i've no news (04/22) - i also need the classifieds module 😢

But if i receive the package or if i've some news, of course I will inform you asap

Denis