Forum OpenACS Q&A: forums package - status

Collapse
Posted by defunct defunct on
I believe OF is the package maintainer for this.

Can whoever if looking after it over the please confirm whether the testing issues found (currently keeping it as rejected)
have been addressed?

http://213.107.207.131:8000/accept/report-view?accept_package_report_id=2779

Collapse
Posted by Ben Adida on
Simon or whoever else is testing this: can you comment on what the specific issues are? Are they all in the comments on the testing page?
Collapse
Yes, the comments have been recorded with the certificate.

I imagine that SDM entries have probably been raised, but the tester will need to confirm.

Collapse
Posted by Ben Adida on
I know of the issue Jeff raised wrt to the opening/closing of forums. Is that the top issue? What are the issues that require fixing immediately, IYO?
Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
I fixed a couple of things:

Validation of subject of body with only whitespace, it now returns an error to the user to enter something.

Validation of HTML for security.

Loss of subject if there was a data entry error and the form was returned with an error.

Collapse
Well, if the tester has failed it for the reasons he's listed, I would suggest they all need doing.

As I don't personally test every package I have to trust the judgement of the tester.

Also, as his comment suggests none of them are particularly difficult, seems silly not to do 'em all now.

In fact I would like to point out (for everyones benefits) that the purpose of Acc testing is not to alleviate that burden from developers, and just find bugs for them.

Its to determine a packages fitness for release. So if the tester is telling me its unsuitable, it won't go in the release. And without substantial justification I will back the tester every time.

If we don't start clearing things up before moving on then this toolkit is never going to get itself out of the 'hacker-hole' its still stuck in at the moment.

Besides, and this applies to all developers, if we don't take this issues seriously and fix bugs when they're found, then makes the excerise a complete waste of time, and creates demotivated testers.

Forums is an important package that people want to see in the tookit. So I can see no need for 'rating' bugs. It ain't fit for release, so they gotta be fixed.

Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
Most of the tickets in SDM for forums now came out of the acceptance
testing I did (and the report has the ticket number for
each observation).  There is no "blocking" state in SDM
so I couldn't designate any particular thing as being
a blocking ticket but I think 1849, 1856, and 1859 should
be considered blocking and the rest are merely annoying.

Again, with the exception of the permissioning issue I think all
are pretty easy to fix.

Collapse
Posted by Ben Adida on
Simon: I'm only trying to find the low hanging fruit to get this package up to par ASAP. Looking forward to separate package distribution, so that we don't have to have all the release dates in sync :)

I'm going to try to tackle some of these issues today/tomorrow. I will focus on Jeff's 3 bugs above, and then continue with the others.

Collapse
Yup agreed, but like I say... we do have to get the whole thing to a certain, quality (i.e. bug fixed) level before there's any point in separating out distribution.

So the sooner its all fixed the better all round ;o)