Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Issues with site-wide SSL configuration

Collapse
Posted by Jose Mendez on
Thanks Gustaf.

We got NGINX running in our test environment. Listening on port 80 and 443 with the AOLServer back-end listening on 8080. Installation and setup was straight forward.

The one thing we noticed was that our code uses [ad_conn location] for navigation links and we were getting the backend port (8080) in our links. To address this, we pulled some procs from a newer version of ACS (util::split_location and ns_parseurl) and added code in ad_conn to handle getting the location without the port number.

I noticed that in the version of ACS where we pulled the procs from, that this would be handled by a utility proc (util_current_location) and not in ad_conn directly. Should we be concerned about adding this to ad_conn?

Best

-Jose

Collapse
Posted by Maurizio Martignano on
Hello Jose,
I believe you can fix this issue by setting the following parameter

proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $remote_addr;

in the server section of your Nginx configuration file.
Try to google how to use the 'X-Forwarded-For' parameter in some Nginx configuration examples.

Hope it helps,
Maurizio

Collapse
Posted by Gustaf Neumann on
This is what i referred to with "When running behind a proxy, also the backend requires some changes". Your old version of ACS has to be made aware that it is not directly communicating with the peer, but with a proxy. So it will think that the other side can directly reply to its own address, or that the peer is the proxy server, which will be noted as well in the access.log containing just the IP addresses of the proxy instead of the IP address of the real peer.

Current OpenACS has the commands (see [1]) for handling such cases:
- [ad_conn peeraddr]
- [ad_conn behind_proxy_p]
- [ad_conn behind_secure_proxy_p]

Check out the source code of current OpenACS, when something special have to be done in the reverse proxy cases, some of these might not be relevant for you.

-gn
[1] https://openacs.org/xowiki/running_behind_a_proxy