Forum OpenACS Q&A: Response to Survey Package Expansion Proposal

Collapse
Posted by Caroline Meeks on
Feedback based on IMS Question and Test Interoperability Glossary of Terms

I'm also doing my homework too and careful reading the IMS standards to see what we might learn from them for this problem. Here is my first pass. I think a little care now in choosing standard terminology now will likely pay off for us when we move towards full IMS compliance. Plus I think it will be useful for all of us to be able to have a glossary to refer to.

1. Users and Students should be changed to Participant
    this will be helpful as in OACS terms both Admin and participants are users.

2. Grade should be changed to Score
    It makes more sense for a something like a personality test to be "scored" then "graded".

3. Can Point Translation be done in a simpler way using "Scoring Formula" and "Weighted Scoring"?

4. Survey_grading_total_score is this the same as IMS Raw Score? or does it use the concept of Cut Scores? these need to be separately addressed.

5. grading_comments looks like it should be "Feedback".
    This will help keep it from being confused with our "General Comments" package. On the other hand it might be worth considering using general comments to manage item and assessment feedback rather then creating a new table.

6. grading_points seems to do the same function as IMS answer_key but an answer_key seems like it would be its own table. We should think over the two approaches. Even if we keep it in the same table answer_key might be a better name for this column.

7. Branching should be changed to Sequencing
    This makes sense when you consider that sometimes the same survey section might be presented multiple times. Use Case: Evaluating each instructor in a multi-instructor class.