Forum OpenACS Q&A: New install
This will be mostly backend (publishers song catalog and payments/expenses etc.), but also will need to track metadata about the song etc. It won't be an "accounting app", but rather an internal accounting app to run reports off of. I've already written the database, so that's not an issue for OACS.
Excuse these questions if they are somewhere online, but I did look for an hour or so.
1. Is there any way to stream or play .mp3?
2. One of the important things is for the metadata/accounting, being able to look up in a reference table (easy), but also add to the reference table from the master record (i.e. category in expense, or genre in song).
3. It would be nice to have some kind of amazon S3 integration for the file uploads, not a deal breaker, but nice to have.
4. I'm debating just running this on my laptop, is there a way to run on MacOS yet? If not, I can host on linode.
good to hear from you. You could look at Project Open for your accounting/expenses features. I know they have some stuff like that.
I'll have a look.
* Use Project-Open for the accounting and invoicing / credit memo / debit notes stuff. Normal PO installation should do you good.
* Potentially treat each record as a project - really depends how you pay your artists / what your payment model is. Alternatively treat each artist as it’s own project to hold the financial and other information
* If you have your data model for the master records, figure out if you benefit from using categories as per ProjectOpen. They are a mighty tool if you know how to use them.
* We have a lot of great experience running Webix Report Manager and Pivot Table on top of OpenACS reports (well, project open reports, which is just a fancier version of database queries). Again, depends on your use case what you want to achieve.
Now to your questions:
1) No experience with it, but I think Naviserver is able to stream.
2) See above
3) We use chilkat library for this kind of integration. Check it out, might also solve streaming issues.
4) Docker - Docker - Docker ;)