Forum OpenACS Development: Re: Wizard Installation of OpenACS

Collapse
Posted by Simon at TCB on
Jon and I were also thinking of looking into a more automated installation process, i.e. par-installer, par-doc.

The problem really (as my feeling is most installation stuff can be done manually) is how to create an installer that doesn't itself make installation more complex.

We've been looking at CherryPy (www.cherrypy.org) as a possible solution. This essentially generates a python executable with the entire webserver and content included, as is as distributabel as python.

This might make a nice, self-contained, downloadable installation server that appears part web service, par automated tool...

It seems to me that virtually all of OpenACS (from PG upwards) is a candidate for automatic install.

Collapse
Posted by Mat Kovach on
It should be easy to convert my current shell scripts into TCL and use tclkit to distribute it OR use something like freewrap to create a installation executable.

Of course, almost every OS has /bin/sh (and some sort of
package management) and creating a wrapping around each
individual package management system would be trivial but very time consuming.

Right now I have the frame work for an installation that as about 10 questions and after compiliing your choices comes up with and OpenACS installation page.  It would be easy to create pre-compiled packages that work with it (checks would have to be added to make sure libxml, postgres or Oracle is installed, etc) and distribute it that way.