Forum OpenACS Development: html tags

Collapse
Posted by Ben Koot on
When I try to add a URL to the user's profile / bios information I get a security warning that it is not allowed to use html tags. I am all for security, but I can't understand why it is not allowed to add a URL in the personal profile page. This is a pain from a users perspective. This feature could be used to create a personal homepage. Right now it's reduced to next to nothing. Please change the code, or give a logical explanation of this move.

If have noticed this problem in other modules aswell. The point is, nobody expects this kind of blocks, so it realy causes confusion. Personaly I feel each module should have default options as far as adding content... 1. Text
2. preformated, whatever that means)
3. Html
I assume this default would make developping new modues easier also. Cheers Ben

Collapse
2: Re: html tags (response to 1)
Posted by Bart Teeuwisse on
Ben,

hold your horses. The message is that you can not use a *specific* HTML
tag. OpenACS does allow select use of HTML tags, tag attributes and
Internet transfer protocols.

Take a look  at the anitspam section of the ACS Kernel parameters. Add
the tags and/or attributes you'd like to use on your site and you'll be
good to go. No coding required!

/Bart

Collapse
3: Re: html tags (response to 1)
Posted by Vadim Makarov on
One must be allowed to switch off HTML filtering altogether if desired. Entering a list of all HTML tags is ridiculous and error-prone. Some legitimate tags will always be omitted, frustrating expert users.

Preformatted option is a disaster because a lot of users will pick it when they shouldn't. It has been available for some time on this board and it mainly resulted in fixed-width postings appearing at random. If somebody doesn't know how to use <pre> tag and &lt; &gt; stuff, he shouldn't be posting code anyway.