Forum OpenACS Q&A: Contributing code to the community

Collapse
Posted by Ayman M on
Hi,

I am currently doing a thesis (IMAP Webmail system) using OpenACS under my supervisor Rafael Calvo.

I will be contributing my work to the community however I am not sure how to upload it. I know that a new user contribution area was going to be setup but im under the impression it isnt set up yet.

Please let me know of options i can take to contribute my work to the community, whether it be emailing someone or otherwise.

Thanks,
Ayman

Collapse
Posted by Kenny Chan on
Hi Ayman,

Try http://sdm.openacs.org/new-file-storage

Can't wait to see the IMAP webmail system! :>

Sincerely,

Collapse
Posted by Ayman M on
Thanks Kenny,

For all that are interested, I have uploaded my 'IMAP Webmail System' to http://sdm.openacs.org/new-file-storage.

Feedback will be most appreciated. I'll be the first to admit that it is not perfect and there are still many issues I must resolve. Theres some documentation I wrote within the package which should be easy to understand.

Should there be any queries about the package, please let me know. All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Ayman

Collapse
Posted by Nick Carroll on
Hi,

I have just uploaded a clickstream data warehouse module to the OpenACS SDM website.  I have ported the old ACS clickstream module to OpenACS.  I have tested it for log files containing up to 10000 entries, and is able to process 10000 entries within 2 mins.  I am not sure how it will perform under much heavier traffic conditions.

I have also documented that further work is needed to port the data model over to PostgreSQL.  I had initially started on this, but was not sure if the ACS module would work.  Luckily I did not pursue with this approach as I did not have a proper understanding of how the clickstream module worked.  Instead I decided to rework the clickstream module and package it for OpenACS.  The data model is still dependent on the Oracle RDBMS due to the PL/SQL code that is used to populate the data warehouse.  I now have a better understanding of how the clickstream module functions, and can now approach the postgresql porting task more effectively.  I will eventually rewrite the population procedure in Tcl instead of PL/SQL, therefore allowing for greater database portability.

Cheers,
Nick.

Collapse
Posted by Nick Carroll on
Any comments or suggestions on the clickstream package would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Nick.

Collapse
Posted by Andrew Smith on
Hi,
I installed web mail as per your instructions but I am getting this certificate error in the login page . How to correct this
[08/Nov/2002:15:21:05][17746.7176][-conn4-] Notice: WEBMAIL: Inside starting
[08/Nov/2002:15:21:05][17746.7176][-conn4-] Debug: ns_imap: open: 0x9068a20: 1: {localhost}: test
[08/Nov/2002:15:21:06][17746.7176][-conn4-] Error: ns_imap: [1]: Certificate failure for localhost: self signed certificate: /C=--/ST=SomeState/L=SomeCity/O=SomeOrganization/OU=SomeOrganizationalUnit/CN=localhost.localdomain/Email=root@localhost.localdomain
[08/Nov/2002:15:21:06][17746.7176][-conn4-] Debug: ns_imap: free: 0x9068a20: 1
[08/Nov/2002:15:21:06][17746.7176][-conn4-] Notice: WEBMAIL: in close session

Thanks
Collapse
Posted by Ayman M on
Hi,

I haven't had that error before and since im quite new to OpenACS, my knowledge is limited.

From what i can gather, you are using SSL and you installed it with SSL. Unfortunately im not exactly sure how SSL works in terms of certificates and i think its a certificate checking problem you are having as opposed to an error in the webmail system.

One possible avenue is to speak to Vlad Seryakov, the ns_imap author. His contact details are provided in the ns_imap module. I have emailed him and pointed him to this discussion aswell.

Sorry i couldnt help further.
Ayman

Collapse
Posted by Vlad Seryakov on
When you use self-signed certificates you should tell OpenSSL not to verify it.
When open mailbox add the flag /novalidate-cert so mailbox string will look like:

set mailbox {{locahost/ssl/novalidate-cert}}

Collapse
Posted by Ayman M on
So in terms of the Webmail system, when you add a server via the administration page, make the 'Server Address' field the following:

yourserver/ssl/novalidate-cert

where 'yourserver' could be localhost or it could be an offsite server.

I'm pretty sure that should solve it for now and hopefully ill fix that inconvenience in the near future after my exams.

Hope that helps,
Ayman

Collapse
Posted by Cathy Sarisky on
I wanted to take Ayman's webmail module out for a spin, but am getting stymied by sdm.openacs.org.  Following the link above takes me to the registration page on sdm.openacs.org, which doesn't seem to have my old registration.  Ok, so I made a new account.  Still no luck.  Even after registering, I'm getting dumped back to the registration/login page.  Is it just me? :P

Ayman, could I pester you to make your code available in some other form?

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Cathy,

What browser are you using?

Sounds like you have a bad cookie or something. I just sucessfully downloaded the package. (I also emailed it to you.)