Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Contributing code to the community

Collapse
Posted by Nick Carroll on
Hi,

I have just uploaded a clickstream data warehouse module to the OpenACS SDM website.  I have ported the old ACS clickstream module to OpenACS.  I have tested it for log files containing up to 10000 entries, and is able to process 10000 entries within 2 mins.  I am not sure how it will perform under much heavier traffic conditions.

I have also documented that further work is needed to port the data model over to PostgreSQL.  I had initially started on this, but was not sure if the ACS module would work.  Luckily I did not pursue with this approach as I did not have a proper understanding of how the clickstream module worked.  Instead I decided to rework the clickstream module and package it for OpenACS.  The data model is still dependent on the Oracle RDBMS due to the PL/SQL code that is used to populate the data warehouse.  I now have a better understanding of how the clickstream module functions, and can now approach the postgresql porting task more effectively.  I will eventually rewrite the population procedure in Tcl instead of PL/SQL, therefore allowing for greater database portability.

Cheers,
Nick.