Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: OpenFTS 0.3.1 Problems

Collapse
Posted by Simon at TCB on
Ok, apologies.. for 'never worked' I meant 'never worked in recent significant history' or 'never worked since chnages to OpenFTS'

No offence meant, I just assumed you'd read between the lines a bit :o)

Anyway, don't jump all over me, but, as the Search package and the OpenFTS are so inherently intertwined, I just assumed when chnages to one were going on, then someone would be looking after how that affects the operation of the other.

Any idea when you'll make the new versions available Dan?

PS, what I really meant about highlighting keywords in advance is not to necessarilay list them all, just point out on the search screen that such a thing applies.

Its the very first thing that caught out my customer yesterday. Just a minor suggestion. Good help text/instructions can go a long way to even overcoming poor software or design.

Collapse
Posted by Neophytos Demetriou on
No offence, Simon. As far as your request, you can slightly modify OpenFTS to index/search stopwords as well. In fact Google is indexing all words (without stemming, though) and the default behavior is to point out that stopwords were not included in the search unless the user specifically asks for a stopword to be included, i.e. prefixing the word with the plus (+) sign. I'm out of Cyprus, so my apologies if I cannot be more specific on this one. If you are still interested on this one I can be more specific next week when I'm back to Nicosia.
Collapse
Posted by Neophytos Demetriou on
Just one last bit of info. Here's a working installation of OpenFTS that you can see how stopwords work (at Infogettable):

http://www.infogettable.net/search/search?q=retires+where+are+you

Collapse
Posted by Dan Wickstrom on
Simon, the search package and openfts are intertwined,  but openfts is an independent project that, in addition to openacs, has support for perl, tclsh, and stand-alone aolserver applications.  Currently there are no maintainers for the search and openfts-driver packages, so search integration with openacs is suffering somewhat.

I will try and get a new version of openfts released by the end of next week.