Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Printing with printer control fonts from HTML

Collapse
Posted by Brian Fenton on
Ah yes David, I see what you're saying now. My reading of the manual was that you could only use the 81H with non-extended printer fonts. If I understand you correctly, you seem to be saying that the 81H should work with ANY font. Well, I'll give it a whirl!

DOS machine? I wish!

Allen, thanks for your suggestion. I'll look into it.

Brian

Collapse
Posted by Brian Fenton on
No joy with that either, David. It still only prints gibberish from the printer.

Allen, I had a look at some of the CSS2 tags you mentioned. I couldn't see anything about fonts though. Thanks for the help anyway.

I've pared in a binary editor the print file Word created down to the minimum size that still opens the till drawer (when I copy it to LPT1 from a Windows command prompt). It's only got 5 characters! I've posted it up here: http://www.quest.ie/brian/test3.prn
Any ideas how to convert that to something the browser can use?

I got an interesting suggestion from another source. He said:
"you could try configuring the browser's monospace font (or one of the weird ones like cursive or fantasy) to be the control font, and then change the HTML to use the monospace font.  Of course, if you need the monospace font for something else this won't help.  I have a feeling though, that if it won't use the control font by name, it probably won't let you use it as a 'special' font. Perhaps the font is a raster font or something and the browser ignores raster fonts."

When I asked him how I might do this, he never replied! Does anyone know how to configure the browser (IE 5.5 and 6.0) like this?